Blogs home Where is the story about Rev. Charles Doudna?

What is wrong with our lazy paper?

This is why I would not pay a red cent to subscribe to this paper. Charles was an iconic figure in Baldwin City. At least the paper could copy the obit from the Lawrence Journal World. http://www2.ljworld.com/obits/2009/feb/25/charles-doudna/

In a small town like ours I would expect the paper to report about everything. When you read the Baldwin Ledger from years ago it is filled with local info from new people moving into town to local events going on.

We have had several new police officers, yet no stories about them. We have had several new businesses come to town or change hands, but no detailed stories about them. Baker has hosted a Louisiana/southern meal Monday to coincide with Fat Tuesday. It was all you can eat for $5 and open to the public, but did the paper report that, NO I guess it is just too much work for them.

My advice to the editors go and read some issues of the Baldwin Ledger, or just get out and ask some questions about what is going on in the city. There is plenty to write about.

I would think that you could at least give a special tribute to a man's life that was so a part of this city for more than 50 years.

February 28, 2009

Where is the story about Rev. Charles Doudna?

Comments

There is much not covered by this paper. Politics is involved. Jeff doesn't want to annoy the establishment. A shame really, as there are many, many stories out there that they avoid.

Peabody 5 years, 9 months ago

notwhatyouthink,

My edition of the Signal contained a tribute to Dr. Doudna on page 3. As far as I can tell, it is the same obituary that appeared in the Journal-World to which you refer in your post. Hence, I am unclear as to the basis of your complaint.

Tony Brown

Stacy Napier 5 years, 9 months ago

Tony,

Have you ever read an old issue of the Baldwin Ledger?

If you have you see what I mean. As for the story, It was not posted online.

Way to shoot off your mouths without bothering to check the facts.

Ninety-nine times out of 100, if an obit is not ready by press time, it is because the FAMILY, who prepares it, needs more time. Do you begrudge that, notwhatyouthink?

As Tony pointed out, Jeff wrote a tribute to Mr Doudna, but you geniuses (plural, since Torch found it necessary to chime in, despite having nothing to add) apparently couldn't find it. I'd lay money that Jeff tried to get his hands on an obit before press time, but it wasn't ready.

Did you call and ask why there wasn't a complete obit before launching a barrage on the basis of a groundless assumption? Thought not. Why don't you ask Monday, then post your findings and your public apology here--if you're man or woman enough to apologize, which I doubt.

As for reporting on every function Baker (or any other group) holds, guess what? News editors (especially of shoestring-budget, understaffed weeklies) can't read minds or utilize a crystal ball for gathering the news. They rely on the public, local businesses, and organizations to bring special-interest stories or events to the editor's attention.

The paper can't report on something it hasn't heard about. Did anyone from Baker ask the paper to cover the Fat Tuesday meal? Thought not. Were you an organizer of the event? Here--next year, knock yourself out: http://signal.baldwincity.com/submit/. If nothing else, the event could've had a sure-shot announcement in the Community Calendar section of the paper, had someone called or emailed the editor requesting it be included. It's that easy.

As far as a full-blown article for every event that happens in town, other factors figure in as well. Space is very limited. The Signal is owned by the World Co. and they require certain features and influence the inclusion of others. Even when a story is slated for publication, it may be bumped for higher-priority items--and, again, the priority is often set by those in Lawrence, not Baldwin. A human-interest story may be researched, written, and ready for press, only to be knocked out by a late-breaking news item.

If you don't know anything about the publishing industry, I suggest you learn a little before ragging on someone who is doing his best within narrow parameters and with limited autonomy. My experience includes monthlies, bi-monthlies, and quarterlies (with whole departments, rather than a staff of 3) and I can't imagine the pressures and constrictions of operating a tiny weekly.

It's not as if The Signal isn't openly inviting you to suggest stories, submit events for the Calendar, and otherwise be involved in what appears in the paper. They couldn't state that more clearly. Do you honestly think it more effective to insult someone than to take him up on his offer to listen to your (respectful) suggestions? Good luck with that.

Peabody 5 years, 9 months ago

Dear notwhatyouthink,

I respectfully disagree with your high opinion of the Baldwin Ledger. I think there were good reasons that it went out of business.

I also respectfully disagree with your assertion that the Doudna story was not posted on the Signal's website: http://signal.baldwincity.com/news/2009/feb/26/maple-leaf-founder-doudna-dead-101/

I accept our differences of opinion over the current and former newspapers, which may simply be a matter of subjective preference. Your comments on the Doudna story, however, are lacking in any objective evidence.

Let's beat the press up for mistakes they make, but let's not invent mistakes just so we can beat them up!

Tony Brown

PS to Notwhatyouthink~

Guess where that LJ World "obituary" you cite came from, Einstein? It's the tribute Jeff Myrick wrote for both papers. The LJ World printed it as an article, with Jeff's byline, but they (mistakenly, IMO) also printed it, same day, in the obituary section, minus the byline. More properly, they should've followed Jeff's lead and put an abbreviated obit in that section, as is customary when the "real" obit has not yet been written.

So not only are you insulting Baldwin's "lazy" paper, but you're also throwing Jeff's own tribute in his face! You would've realized this (and saved yourself the trouble of spewing venom here) if you had actually bothered to read thoroughly.

Can't wait to read your public apology to Jeff.

The Ledger was so inferior. Why are you singing its praises? Did you write the right-wing Reagan Country column? Good riddance to that.

Nowatuthink got owned by a state rep. Ha Ha Ha Ha. Actually, you are what I think; a real effin' idiot.

Good to hear from Peabody every once in a while (TheOnlyGreyghost, not so much).

Yeah, I suppose you don't like to be reminded of what an unoriginal poser you are, fakeghost.

kermit 5 years, 8 months ago

Point of clarification: Who is the original greyghost of the old Speakout days before the new format??

Kermit~ I am. Hence my comments. The poser scooped "my" moniker when the new Speakout started up. He (or another poser) also stole a couple of other long-time Speakout identities.

It would've been a good joke on us originals if (after everyone got a laugh) the usurper had un-registered the names and let everybody go back to being the presence everyone knew and hated (haha). But to continue to post under the stolen name seems a pretty shallow thing to do, not to mention confusing--as evidenced by your question.

I'm not sure what is lacking in someone's character when they feel it necessary to steal an online identity that (for better or worse) someone has established for several years. All I can conclude is that fakeghost must have very little imagination or personality of his own to want to ride along on the strength of mine. Maybe I should take that as a compliment, albeit one I certainly wouldn't solicit.

Yeah, you'd probably have stolen his name if you'd thought of that, faker.