Blogs home Summer

Melange Apron…The true story…

I can tell you what went wrong with the Melange. If I misspell something here, forgive me. I'm getting used to texting and have picked up the misspelling habit. :) Everyone was so excited about this restaurant. Chef Bryan was probably the best chef ever! That's my personal opinion. His wife's desserts are incredible. They are both very nice and professional people. Of course, no one is perfect and under the stress of the restaurant, there were a few times when we all lost it. Anyone who has ever owned a business knows that the owner has to be there, especially when it's important. You can't open a restaurant and in a month never be around. Every good business owner knows, you have to be there to turn on the light and to turn the light off. Basically, the owners wanted it to run itself, after only one month. It was stressful and Chef Bryan made sure he expressed his feelings. Being the Chef and kitchen manager, he wanted everything just right. After he left, the quality of the food and the ambiance was not the same. The employees were not managed and in fact, now they have a bully running the whole show. I heard she is demanding tips from the servers and mistreating everyone there. I think everyone is hoping that the owners wake up. If it was my business, I would beg Bryan to come back. He was responsible for everything good about that place. I think we would all like it to be back to that 1st month. Excellent management is key! Happy employees =Happy customers!

Comments

markdunn 4 years, 10 months ago

This saga should be turned in to a made for TV movie. I'm sure the Oxygen Channel would pick it up.

rumpledforeskin 4 years, 10 months ago

Are they still WiFi? Anyone ever go there to work?

food101 4 years, 10 months ago

A movie would never work because according to greyghost, Chef Brian would have to play all characters!

Maybe they could just get a slot on that Food Channel show where the famous chef tries to save the dying restaurant from the clueless owners while commiserating with the competent but under-appreciated chef.

solo 4 years, 10 months ago

You do realize that by writing all this you are dooming this eatery to failure and all the hard working employees that you claim to be defending will lose their jobs? If you are truly their friend then I doubt you want that to happen. Honestly, isn't there a better way to improve the situation rather than going on a blog and bashing the place? What is the average restaraunt patron supposed to take away from all of this?

Summer 4 years, 10 months ago

I have a great idea let's make Greyghost the chef. We can blame everything on the Ghost! That sounds exciting. There was a rumor that there are ghosts in that place. Maybe it's the Greyghost....OMG that's it!

Careful what you wish for, Summer. They'd need to hire the real GG if they wanted culinary magic in the kitchen. All the fakeghost knows how to cook is canned spam and frozen corn, which he would then serve with his screw-top sour grape w(h)ine.

Also, if they hired him, he'd spend most of his time trying to steal recipes from Cordoba's and The Wooden Spoke, then trash the kitchen and throw a hissy fit when the ripped-off cooks at the other establishments filed a complaint.

Summer 4 years, 10 months ago

OMG! To The Only Greyghost...That was funny! LOL...Hey, I like Spam. Don't eat it now, but did growing up! I guess I'm confused about the fake ghost vs. real ghost. Maybe the fake ghost can be the assistant cook.HeeHee

Summer~ FYI~~ I posted as Greyghost for several years on Speakout. There was a small but active posting community and we all knew each other's style, political leanings, etc. Although we maintained anonymity, we were comfortable with "who" each other was, what we could expect out of one another, etc.

The LJW had to shut the site down to change to the new format, which wiped out everybody's login names. Those of us who did not monitor the site obsessively and didn't realize that had happened returned a few days later. By then, some new a--h--- had stolen my posting name. Same thing happened to a few other original posters.

Obviously, this doesn't carry the weight of credit card identity theft, but it's still unethical and (obviously) was confusing to anyone seeing that name on a post that was obviously not written by me. I don't know why anyone would steal someone else's long-established name unless he was a total failure in the creativity department and was a mean-spirited, unethical jackass to boot...which pretty much fits the fakeghost, now that he's been here long enough to establish his miserable, lame persona.

So, no--I don't think anyone would want someone like that even as an assistant chef. He obviously cannot be trusted. Maybe he could haul trash away or clean the grease traps. That's about all he's good for. And I'd watch the cash drawer while he was around.

sportsfan 4 years, 10 months ago

On the topic of newish BC businesses, does anyone know what's up with the thrift store that's in the old hardware store building west of McDonalds? It was hit and miss as far as quality and variety, but I did find some good stuff in there.

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm baaaaccck! Hmmmm...the Apron. Momma says(yes she's still kicking) the place smells like flowers, grease, and is full of people who think they have more money than they do. Hey GreyGhost(the only)...how they hangin? Miss me? NanCrisp...what's up?

JM, if that's actually you--- Where ya been, boy? Rumor had it that you hitched a ride on a tramp steamer, mistakenly believing you would meet some friendly tramps there and instead wound up shoveling coal in a boiler room below deck. True? exaggerated?

If that's not JM, but instead, another fake incarnation, then I hope JM rises up from his Old Crow stupor and kicks the interloper's worthless arze.

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 10 months ago

Knowing I was soooo missed…it’s great to be back. Where have I been? Vacation! And it was all free!

You see…one night I was walking west up High street when this really nice woman pulled up in a fairly new (and customized) car. She parked, got out and ask me if she could assist me in any way. I was so “taken” that I walked straight into one of those guard/handrail things some genius placed strategically in front of the Lumber Company(that no longer sells lumber). She was so nice, and very well dressed (Dark blue pants suit ensemble with a wide black belt. And a large brooch.). She picked up my bottle of “Jack” and Momma’s shotgun and put them both in her car. Of course I said, “Hey…what the f**k are you doing with my stuff?” thinking she was stealing it. She said, in the voice of an Angel, “Oh…don’t worry. I’m giving you a ride.”

How nice. She helped me up and then helped me into, not the front seat, but the back seat of her car. That’ll make ya feel important. I’ve never been vertical in the back seat of a car before. She even put my seat belt on for me! I’m thinking how proud Momma would be if I brought home a nice woman like this. But she didn’t take me home.

She took me to a really nice hotel! Fanciest place I’ve ever stayed. It was huge. All concrete and stone. When we walked in the first thing I noticed was how nice and clean it was. The bellboys in the front area were all wearing crisp clean uniforms and talk about polite. I was a bit worried when they checked me in cause they had me empty my pockets and put all my stuff in a little bin. But no…they explained that at this particular hotel, they lock everything up so no one can steal your stuff. Wow. They even gave me new clothes! And talk about nice, clean state of the art rooms. Never seen anything like it. I had a HUGE room (6 X 6) all to my self! The furniture was built right into the walls. And talk about convenience? No walking down the hall or going outside to use the “restroom.” The toilet was right there in my room! Talk about “cosmopolitan!” And the bed…wait for it, wait for it…had a mattress. I was trying to think of the last time I had a mattress. To be continued...

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 10 months ago

The next morning? Guess what? Free breakfast! It was good too. After breakfast they showed me where the shower was located. Bet you all have never seen a shower like the one at this particular hotel. It was huge and must have had ten or twelve shower heads. Annnnnd…an attendant stands right there with you and hands you your soap(free), shampoo(free) and a CLEAN big towel.

After the shower I was shown the “lounge.” Big ol living room with a really nice big “movie theatre” size TV screen. After a bit of TV…lunch. All free. And talk about taking care of you during your stay…they even have a bellboy go with you outside to make sure nothing happens to you. The courtyard had the most beautifully woven wire fencing I’ve ever seen. Must have cost a fortune to bring in the artist/sculptor for that. The bellboy said that’s to keep the “riffraff” out so as not to bother the people staying there. Niiiicccce.

Dinner…awesome. A bit more TV and in bed early. Oh…all the rooms have decorative grating with futuristic electronic locks. You never have to worry about anyone coming into your room and bothering you in the middle of the night.

The worst part? They didn’t have a bar anywhere in this hotel. No bar? Strange. The best part? No one ever ask me to leave. Soooo…I just stayed.

But after about a year and a half (bellboy said it had been 480 days), A really nice man in a suit came to see me and explained that I was going to have to leave so as to let somebody else have a turn. I was sad to leave…but was missing Momma, Sissy and all my friends on the Signal. First order of business? A bottle of “Jack” and a look around for the nice lady who gave me a ride to the one and only vacation I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to thank her.

frances was up at 2:30 in the morning concerned about the quality of desserts at Baldwin's newest restaurant.
Does anyone know who frances is? [Hint] I think she might be French because she spelled "gooey" as "gooie". I think that is how it is spelled in French anyway.

food101 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't think that "frances" is worried about the desserts, I think there is a real problem with the manager in charge???? Sounds like the manager is a bad apple. I've ran into a lot of them. For some reason the overseeing of people make them a bit power hungry. (oh and she should stay away from the ovens). Oh well, what I was really wanted to know is, does anyone know where to find the original baker? I work for an establishment that would love to track this person down.

food101, I found this article that has the original baker's address: http://signal.baldwincity.com/news/2008/aug/04/baldwin_city_man_remains_jailed_aggravated_battery/ Well, I guess it only says what block it's in, but that should give you a better idea on how to get in touch.

BTW, where'd frances go? [Page Unavailable]

food101 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't really give a crap about someones personal life. I just want the desserts. Besides some peoples opinion are that they are very professional, good chefs. I hear the rumors through the grape vine. I don't tend to believe a lot of which I hear or read. Most of the time papers don't exactly get the facts right. I have a question for you fu****, I mean fakey. Did a chef drop you on your head when you where a baby? I noticed damage has been done.

On that note, Fances does seem to be getting the shaft. What's up?

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 9 months ago

We mourn the Melange Apron as it was and wish it hadn't morphed into it's existing state. What's happened there is a shame and my initial enthusiasm has dwindled down to just a simple gratitude that it's still cute inside and they have a playroom that my kids like.

On the upside, they still have booze. It makes everything taste much better.

Did anyone attend the Valentine's Day dinners? The menu read well, but I have found in the not-so-distant past that what comes out on the plate never matchs the rhapsodic descriptions from the menu or from the server.

Sigh. It's sad to suffer such disillusion.

Summer 4 years, 9 months ago

Greyghost, We don't want to use this forum for stalking other bloggers. Some of your posts seem like you are stalking or bullying. Do you mind me asking why? I'm just curious. First it seemed like an innocent crush, but now your blogs don't make sense and have a mean tone to them. Everyone has things that they wish they could change or maybe would have done differently. I have never hurt anyone physically but if someone messed with my children or my spouse then maybe I would. We shouldn't judge unless you were the one hurt. Were you? There are always two sides to a story. Let's stay on the subject please. "The Melange Apron"

I don't know what you're talking about.

indasky 4 years, 9 months ago

WHY WERE THERE 5 POLICE CARS A STATE TROOPER AND AN AMBULANCE AT THE INTERMEDIATE CENTER AT 3:15PM ON 3/10???? WAS THE SCHOOL ON LOCKDOWN?

Blog entries