Blogs home Speakout!

Mediacompost

For about the last 3-4 weeks my Internet service continually blips on and off. Sometimes it will stay off for hours, sometimes it comes right back on. Either way, I don't like it and it isn't the kind of service for which I pay. I pay to have it on and available. Period.

Comments

We used to have that problem all the time. We've had stellar service with zero outages for about a year now--since switching to DirecTV! Mediacompost (good tag!) was pathetic the whole time we used it and I'm not surprised to hear that it's still just as bad.

Good luck. If you work from home and must have reliable internet connection, Mediacom is just too unreliable.

arcocelli 4 years, 2 months ago

As far as I know, you can only get DirectTV internet if you have a landline, which lets me and a lot of other people out. Most companies who offer dsl, refuse to offer it without a landline, which technically isn't necessary, they just want to sell you something extra. Plus, like a lot of people these days, I don't need TV, cable or sat, if I have the internet. We've been here 6 years now and I thought we might have more internet options by now. I wish I knew what we could do to change that.

We dumped the landline many years ago, so you've heard wrong on that count. Check into DirecTV and see what your options are. It doesn't cost anything to ask. Good luck!

Stacy Napier 4 years, 2 months ago

What are your down and up speeds with Direct TV?

That's the catch notwhatyouthink.

DirectTV is sattelite internet and if you do any gaming or uploading of large files it won't be that great. If all you do is surf it will be fine.

Mediacom has been pretty bad since it introduced cable internet about 8 years ago. It's never been reliable and I'm on a first-name basis with the service team.

Stacy Napier 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you, but Mediacom is running 10Gb/s and almost 1Gb/s up at my house. I would like to know what the Direct TV is really like.

sawman 4 years, 2 months ago

I have to play the devil's advocate here, I've run logs and found the service is up over 99.99% of the time. The down time just sticks out when it happens. It seemed to me there'd been a pretty long run of very few outages(save the couple of cables cut through) till their recent fiber optic problems, which have been an annoyance but were resolved fairly quickly each time. I too am curious about the up/down speeds as Direct TV seems to be the way to go once we get a HD tv. DTV and switch to DSL perhaps for internet...

arcocelli 4 years, 2 months ago

I checked into DirectTV. For me, it's not a solution, for several reasons. 1) We don't need TV channels, if we have the internet, so that would be a waste of money. 2) Direct TV farms their internet out to other companies, CenturyLink being the one for Baldwin. Their internet speeds aren't great and I can't just buy the internet without buying some kind of package, unless I want to pay more for buying just internet, which is one of the problems I have with Mediacom. The wait for a better service provider continues!

sawman 4 years, 2 months ago

If you can view everything you want via internet then I'm happy for you, but I dont' believe I could. Contractual agreements block a lot of broadcasts from being put on the internet in real time. CenturyLink does offer a 10.0M tier for those who can receive DSL. Would be nice to get that 10.0M all the time instead of sharing MC's bandwidth. To get it would require bundling with a landline($70+tx/fees) and with TV($125-180+tx/fees) ends up being more than MC charges. Is it really necessary to charge $8 a day? The two drop-outs today were very annoying, once again. They wasted a service tech's time coming out here, and ordering a reburying of our cable isn't going to fix their problems. I'd just like an honest answer to why the service isn't consistent right now.

BaldwinDad 4 years, 2 months ago

I too have had multiple problems with their cable and their internet service. I have had them come out and replace two HD DVRs only to have the same issues both times. The service for high speed is horrible here, the only saving grace is the price. If not for that I would be back to DSL or Direct TV.

loosecaboose 4 years, 1 month ago