Blogs home sawman

Hidden ethanol in your gas!!

"Most Kansans may not even know they're using more ethanol. Under the law, retailers no longer have to alert consumers that some pumps contain a 10 percent blend of ethanol. It's up to retailers whether to use the labels." They did a good job of hiding this because I've not noted any information about it for four years.

If you think you've been avoiding power robbing, mileage robbing, component eating, catalytic converter ruining ethanol then I've got bad news for you. Back in 2005 our self-serving idiotic legislature removed the requirement of gasoline retailers to disclose the addition of ethanol to their product. Of course many gas station owners jumped at the chance to blend in cheaper ethanol and sell it for the same price as straight gasoline.

I find this disgustingly underhanded and blatant thievery instilled by these retailers and the people we elected to represent us. This explains the swings I've seen in my gas mileage and it really pisses me off that it may lead to replacement of a $1000 catalytic converter for which I've been getting intermittent codes of impending failure. Since complaining won't go anywhere and the stations won't own up I'll have to buy a alcohol fuel test kit to determine who still sells the real McCoy. KS Weight & Measure will get a letter as well as my legislators. Once I get my kit I'll report back who is robbing you and who isn't.

Corn growers and ethanol producers need not reply. Go enjoy your Christmas on your subsidies provided by us tax payers and pump theft victims. Oh yeah, and let the really poor eat dirt instead of your food crop.

Comments

jmyrick 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, saw, I had no idea. Thanks for the information and I'll be curious to see how your testing turns out.

sawman 4 years, 4 months ago

First tests show ethanol in the regular from both stations in town. Need to get a 100ml graduated cylinder to determine percentages. I'll have to see if anybody sells ethanol-free in Lawrence.

BaldwinDad 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, this is the sort of stuff that makes me think there really is no hope for freedom and liberty in this country any more.

All the legislators on a State and Federal level ever seem to do is care about their next big donation instead of the people they swore to represent.

Perhaps we need to go to our City Council and pass a local law requiring that any gas station in the city limits have to list whether they or not are selling Ethanol blended gas. While I hate this type of end around it's obvious we can not trust the tax feeders in Topeka to look out what is best for all their constituents just the big Agri-business ones that write the fat checks around campaign time.

I wonder where Tony stands on this and if we can trust him to be our voice in Topeka.

Still_Pool 4 years, 4 months ago

"Perhaps we need to go to our City Council and pass a local law requiring that any gas station in the city limits have to list whether they or not are selling Ethanol blended gas."

That's a good way to provide people with the information they need. It doesn't seem too difficult to bring about if Baldwin has the authority to do so.

Can anyone in city government tell us if there is any legal reason why Baldwin wouldn't be able to pass such an ordinance?

SP

sawman 4 years, 4 months ago

All the regular and mid-grade sold here in town has ethanol in it. I'm guessing the premium does too. I'll test it one of these days. They have a very inaccurate method of blending in the ethanol called splash blending. It might be 10%, it might be 30%. The EPA will be issuing a decision on allowing E15 in the coming year. Get ready to deal with even worse mileage and more engine problems. Would have been nice if they'd have advertised their solicitation for comments from the public a liitle more than they did. They've tested a whopping two car models so far and stated they thought cars newer than 2002 should have a robust enough fuel system to handle the E15. My thought is if it isn't any good for a car older than 2002 how is it any good for newer cars?? The only station I've found so far with ethanol free gas is Westside 66 on 6th street in Lawrence.

BaldwinDad 4 years, 3 months ago

sawman...thanks for the info, it's nice to see someone out there is looking out for us citizens, unlike most of our elected officials.

I wonder why Jeff is not running story on this for us???

I'm sure more people would like to know they are being forced to support big Agra-Farms who sole purpose to grow less food and get more subsides from the Government.