Blogs home sawman

PETITION to return Speakout FORUM

As you can see Jeff, some are trying to make this work but it's NOT. I know I complained about the old format but it beat the hell out of this crap. We had a simple forum that allowed html in all comments and bumped subjects to the top of an index where you could quickly see if new comments had been added. I doubt my comments in the "Is anybody out there?" blog have been read by anyone as it is anchored at the bottom of the blogs page. No highlighting of new comments, the only way you know if there's a new comment is to keep count! You can't tell if an article has been commented on unless you open and look. Come on, that's nuts. Commenters can't use html, what's up with that? The blog groups link has lead to a Page Unavailable since the implementation, and the blog change page link to a Page Not Found. What the hell does "Publish this entry, but don't list it in public index" mean? As far as I can tell it just destroys whatever you'd tried to post, as does the "save this as a draft instead of publishing." I'm really fearing that my comment here will be swept away as well since I've not tried blogging my blog(that just sounds sick...) till now. " That or it will wallow somewhere out of sight and unread, I'm guessing as an addendum to my BLOG halfway down the page where it's unlikely to be noticed.

How about a vBulletin or phpbb based forum or something along those lines. That's the improvement I'd hoped for, not the trashing of the Speakout forum and replacement with blog. I really don't understand LJW getting EPpy awards. Maybe Rob Curley could come on here and tell us how this is better. Perhaps his staff could at least fix the dead links that have existed since the implementation. It's apparent no one has touched it since the change. Neither has anyone answered the first question posed, where did all the old Speakout threads go?

Well, before I type any more I want to see what will happen to this when I hit post. Post a vote for the forum format versus the blog format if you're with me!

edit: I will cite one improvement, I was able to come back in here and correct a misspelling. Problem is you can't edit comments.

edit: Another question, why does it say Shawnee Dispatch at the top of page when uploading an image?

Comments

loosecaboose 6 years, 2 months ago

When you go to that page, it states the system may be having a hiccup. That is one very long hiccup!

What he said.

The old forum needed work but this format is doesn't work.

Still_Pool 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Sawman!

I completely agree.

The earlier forum was flawed, but THIS is totally unworkable.

Look at how many of the regular posters have dropped out, and how limited the current usage is. Poor old Peabody has dropped off the face of the earth!

The old Forum was enjoyable, public, easy to use, and reliable. This is NONE of the above!

Do SOMETHING!

SP

oldman 6 years, 2 months ago

I am with you on this. Bring back the old Forum Fix the new Forum Finish the missing pages of the New Forum Bring back the archives of the old Forum

Do something

"If you had wanted to KILL the electronic discussion in and around this town, you couldn't have done a better job!"

SP sez, "My wife already accepts that she married an idiot!" GG replies: The world would run a lot more smoothly if every woman would concede the truth of that sentiment and if every man would realize his woman was right and tell her so. ;-)

P Zinzer~ Watch your back, indeed. There's nothing more objectionable to chronic cranks than having a cheerful, competent sort in their midst.

Still_Pool 6 years, 2 months ago

"Quite likely, that is the intention. And Peabody probably saw a good opportunity to slip out quietly, most likely upon the sage advice of every woman he's ever married."

I hope not, I've always enjoyed reading him. Now I may have to start "bringing up" controversial issues. My wife already accepts that she married an idiot!

SP

p_zinzer 6 years, 2 months ago

OK, at the tremendous risk of being castigated severely, the only thing I've found that I can't do with this forum is to get the comments in reverse chronological order. I can create a new thread anytime I want, and I can respond to others' threads. I haven't tried out the RSS feature but it might be handy to catch the latest news from a hot thread.

Anyhow, just sayin'.

Let the beatings commence....