Blogs home Overlooking opportunity ?

Opportunity overlooked?

The Heritage task force in Lawrence has $350,000 to divy up for " historic spaces " in Douglas County. What can Baldwin do with a portion of that ? For more info pleae read story in paper.

Option 1 Get the taxpayers off the hook for $ 40,000 when the building on 6th and High is going to be re - deemed structurally sound and the City throws away our money on that.

Option 2 Purchase the old PC ( the Gym I am told has historical significance ) let the school district pocket $50,000 and give Baldwin a community center.

The big question - will the city have enough motivation to act. Proactivity works wonders

December 13, 2010

Overlooking opportunity ?

Comments

BaldwinDad 4 years ago

Good idea....lets see if Mr. Bayer can tear himself away from his dreams of BOE and work this into the next City Council Meeting.

robinbayer 4 years ago

BaldwinDad,

I will raise the issue at the upcoming City Council meeting as a 'discussion point not for action at this time'. My understanding of the task force assembled by the County Commission is that they will look for opportunities to contribute to significant historical projects and open space preservation, for the purposes inherent in historical or open space preservation -- not with the intent of contributing funds to the budgets municipalities within the County. It is also my understanding that the County Commission will be the arbiters of any funds spent on projects. Funds or project direction will NOT be delegated to our City Council for oversight.

Provided my understanding is accurate I would recommend that you attend the next County Commission meeting and raise your concerns in that venue. Nancy Thellman is a County Commissioner with a passion for seeing Baldwin City receive its proper share of funding for Douglas County projects. Her contact information from the Douglas County website is as follows:

Phone: (785) 832-0031 Fax: (785) 832-5148 Email: nthellman@douglas-county.com

Nancy would very much welcome you to contact her about this matter or any other concerns you have.

Robin Bayer 203 9th Street 913-645-6666

ksrush 4 years ago

So we could preserve the gym and use it for a community center ?

oscar 3 years, 12 months ago

Never will happen ksrush. That money will stay in lawrence. And we need a community center like we need more sidwalks ...NOT. We have got to lower taxes in baldwin and that is the only thing to work to take back our city. No thing else.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree, the last thing we need is a community center, while I do think we could use more sidewalks, I think we need to focus on cutting costs rather then finding ways to add more like a community center.

I would be glad to attend the meeting Robin and I'm glad to hear you will bring this up at the next meeting, perhaps we can get back some of that lost tax money for that building on the corner of 6th & High.

robinbayer 3 years, 11 months ago

BaldwinDad,

I brought up this matter at the December 20 City Council meeting. During my brief discussion I mentioned that I spoke with County Commissioner Nancy Thellman. She explained the charter of the Task Force that was charged with identifying projects for which the $350,000 set aside by the Commission would be spent. The Task Force was to give a preliminary report to the County Commission at its December 22 meeting, but the final report will be due in February. The County Commission will make the decision on the projects that will receive funding, based on a range of criteria developed by the Task Force. As such, I encourage you to contact Nancy Thellman and share with her your concerns and suggestions for projects.

Robin Bayer 203 9th Street

oscar 3 years, 11 months ago

i say lets shut down city government and close schools. They cause more harm than good. Just lower my taxes, I cannot afford to live in this town any longer with all its taxes and bills to pay. Time to pull the plug on any and all services. Take back our city from the government socialites like jr and ksrush say. They are right. Listen to what they said.