Blogs home New resturant

new resturant in Baldwin

I have tried the melangeapron twice and both times have been dissapointed with not only service but quality of food. The first visit i waited for 40 MINUTES to be seated for a party of two.(7:40 seated) then we ordered beers. Let me just say the disorganization og the wait staff was impressive! If I were a waitress or server I would have asked for the bartenders cell# so that I could call in or text the bar orders instead of waste time running in circles trying to get drinks and the bartender trying to settle tabs through the resturant. WE ORDER (8:00). We have another beer, (8;30). 8:45 our server comes by and asks if we have ordered yet. I'm in the bathroom and my husband repeats the order and asks her to hurry. 9:25 our food arrives. Small portions at best. the wait was unbearable, and the food was just"ok". 9:40 the waitress asks us to tell her our ouder because she cant find the ticket. 10:00pm, we leave after much complaining with our meal comped, just paying for the good beer. My second visit was almost as bad. Long wait time for food.(We were seated immediately) 30 min for a blt and french onion soup that was served with a cold piece of swiss cheese on top. Hardly the discription in the menu. The bread for the blt was soo hard that I couldnt believe that it hadn't been retired to the cruton pile yet. I welcome any place tha has "good" beer on tap, but i think that the melange apron is trying to do too much. For one thing, there is no good entrance,and the wait staff and the bar aren't communicating. I hope that the owners rethink the menu and the layout of the resturant and their customer service skills.

October 12, 2009

New resturant

Comments

sportsfan 4 years, 10 months ago

You had a good experience and better food compared to what we got. A lot of people have made similar comments and it's too bad the owners can't seem to figure out how to solve the problems.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

One other thing... Playrooms belong in daycares,Dr.Offices,and McDonalds. Who wants to spend money getting a babysitter and go out for drinks or dinner just to spend the evening tripping over someone elses kids on the way to the bar.

bc 4 years, 10 months ago

I have to say the same about the service, one visit, it was a long wait to give our order, the next, it took them longer to get us our check than it did to be sat and finish our meal.

The food I had was good so there is some potential there, but the service can really spoil the experience. We tried the appetizer with chips and the 3 dips and ran out of chips. The manager (i guess it was the manager) and 2 different waitresses walked by without even bothering to ask if we needed more chips.

They need to do something better with how they handle tickets too, just a little organization and consistent process would benefit them greatly.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree that it does have potential. They have great beer on tap. Maybe they should consider hireing a "MANAGER" that dosent have any ownership in the business to organize the resturant, educate the servers on "traffic patterns", customer service, and efficiency.

Stacy Napier 4 years, 10 months ago

I won't touch the place. When I drove by one day a cook was turning stuff on the grill with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

Can you say health code violation.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

at least it was a cigrette you saw. lol

AmyIrenie 4 years, 10 months ago

I had a fantastic experience. We came in a party of 6 and there was a big table open for us to sit right down. We were there to enjoy each other's company and relax. We ordered almost the entire appetizer list, beers, and then wandered around to check the place out. We were able to order dinner just as the apps were coming out. Everything was timed out perfectly. The music was great, everyone was friendly,the food was tasty, and we had a wonderful night out. It wasn't much unlike a dinner at Free State Brewery say. Yeah, it may take a while, but we were there for the experience not to be hurried in and out. If you want fast food, I think McDonald's could help you out across the street. As with any new restaurant, I'm sure they have some kinks to work out.

rateraiser 4 years, 10 months ago

You could put all the bad experiences posted together and it would still not be as bad as Hickory Creek's service. I have been there numerous times (each time thinking it has to have gotten better) and have never had a good experience. Don't get me wrong, the food is normally fantastic (if there is any left), but one person can not work the bar, wait tables, serve food, and work the register. No wonder it is for sale.

Ate at the apron once and thought it was great other than I could have used a few more french fries with my sandwich.

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

I think the Melange Apron is fantastic and was greatly needed in Baldwin.

The first time we went, the service was very slow and somewhat backward (apps at the end of dinner :)), the second time, it was much better and we had no problems. The third time, our server was a tad confused on a few things, but he did fine with some prompting. I didn't find it to be a big deal - it's all about the experience and I'm not going to demand 5-star service at the prices they charge.

I certainly couldn't say that they offer gourmet food, but it's perfectly fine and is significantly better than anything else offered here in town. We LOVE the playroom and, perhaps unlike other parents, make sure that our kids stay there if they aren't in their seats at the table. The kids are excited to go there and it gives us grownups a chance to have grownup conversation while we're out with the kids.

The decor is darling. I adore the cloth napkins and my kids are always excited to see what kind of napkin ring they'll be getting :). The owners are darling. The bartender is darling. The food presentation is darling. All of our servers - even if a bit confused - have been darling. If you voice an issue with the staff, they'll take care of it. The owners are very friendly and each time we've been there, one or the other has stopped by our table to chat and check up on how we're doing.

I cannot express enough how grateful I am that now I have a choice other than mediocre barish food/roast beef (how does a restuarant accomplish bad mashed potatoes, anyway??), okay Mexican/american, bbq and ookie fast food.

Melange Apron, thank you so much for opening up! We hope you are here for the long haul!

P.S. The desserts rock. I bake (and love to bake and am very, very picky about my desserts) and the deserts I've had there - made by an employee's girlfriend, I believe - are terrific.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't expect a 5 star resturant from a town that rips off its citizens with inflated utilities, rude librarians, and only concern is getting their mill levies and sales taxes increased for unecessary ball fields. Now that the owners and wait staff of the Melangeapron have had their fun posting, the real test will be if they stay in business. They do have good beer, but so does the liquor store .

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmm...I can only assume that my unbridled enthusiasm has led some to conclude that I am an owner or one of the waitstaff at the Apron.

Please note that is not the case. I am, however, thrilled with the option they have provided in the area of food service for Baldwin and I am not remotely ashamed to express it :).

However, please don't get me started on my feelings regarding the mill levy, inflated utilities, or proposed sales tax hikes. My sentiments fall on the opposite side of the line for those things. In fact, those things are enough to make me want to move - and sadly, the Melange Apron (as fabulous as it is), is not enough to make me stay.

I don't find the librarians remotely rude...perhaps they like my tendency towards unbridled enthusiasm?

Rgere 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't normally read speak out, but I was pointed to this thread and thought I would like to put a few things out there.

First of all, if anyone has a bad experience at any business (especially in the town you live), please contact the owners or manager to inform them of the reason you had a bad experience. If we as business owners do not know of the problems, we can not correct the issues. I agree that every business is only as good as its worst employee.

I personally would like to apologize for any poor experience received at Hickory Creek. This is not our intention and I am pretty certain it is not Shawn's intention at Melange Apron.

I can only speak for Hickory Creek, but we are a struggling business in a very small town. We rely on the small poplulation of Baldwin and surrounding area to stay in business. Also, Hickory Creek is NOT for sale nor have plans of moving anywhere. Eventhough it would be so much easier to move to a larger population area where there would be a larger customer base.

All of us small business owners in Baldwin do what we can with what we have. Our most valuable customers are the ones who provide feedback, good and bad. These are the customers who inform us of what is working and what is not so we can make necessary adjustments. Please contact the owners or managers of the establishments so we are infomed.

Ric Gere Hickory Creek hickorycreek@mchsi.com

pissedoff 4 years, 10 months ago

We have worked really hard to create something special at the Melange apron. This is to be a place to relax and enjoy your visit with us, a home away from home. We are having growing pains yes and working hard to correct problems. We are proud to employ local help some of whom indeed need more training. We aspire to build a rewarding relationship with the community. I feel we offer a unique option for better food, drink and atmospher If you do not agree I'm sorry. Working in this industry for 20 years I have definately learned that you can't please all of the people all of the time. Offering food other than fried right off the truck takes time; you may not know that ALL of our food is from scratch made in our tiny little kitchen. My wife whom I met in culinary school 14 years ago is our pastry chef and makes all of the wonderful deserts and pastrys we offer from scratch. When I designed the first of an ever changing menu for the Melange I literaly agonized over it! What do you offer in a small town that is used to meat & potatos & chicken fried this & deep fried that. My wife & I are gardners and we love it! We have been canning fresh foods for years trying to capture the spring, summer & fall in a jar for years! That's what my vision of our menu has become. FRESH!!!! FROM SCRATCH!!!!! Quality ingrediance made with care makes the differance! I appreciate the feed back both good & bad some seem very harsh & unforgiving but I will ask you to please give us another chance I will gladly come out & speak with anyone whom has comment or concern I truly want you to leave with a smile. I would like to thank those of you whom have given praise and taken the time to share it...Far to often do people NOT take time to give thanks yet are quick to give judgment. Supporting your local buisness supports you! Thank you, have a nice day & see you @ the Malange Apron. Chef Brian

Ric Gere: a class act; you can't please all of the people all of the time; your food is very good and it's easy to see that you are concerned with keeping it that way.

Brian: I haven't tried your restaurant yet but I'm not sure it's a good idea to jump into this community with a moniker such as "pissedoff." Just saying. And I hope that you have "ingredients" in your recipes rather than "ingrediance," which is not actually a word in the English language but sounds like a delicious sniglet. Here's a possible definition: ingrediance, noun, the quality or state of being a component of a mixture. "The menu has a distinct ingrediance of je ne sais quoi."

pissedoff 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm not pissed at all that is an old log in name that I was unable to change as there is no app. on this crummy web sight to change it! Oh & thanks for the spelling tip

It's amazing that you are superseding the owner's of the Apron with such a posting name. You represent the restaurant well and -- here's the kicker -- it will be here forever! Haaaahahahahhhhaha . . . . too funny!

Went back to look at some of your past comments. Why do you hate cops so much?

I love this town.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

Chef Brian,

you mean fresh from scratch right off the Sisco truck? I can't find on Sisco's web-site were they sell anything but pre-made meals? Can you verify or deny this claim? I have no problem if someone uses a distributor like Sisco. I do have a problem however with someone who claims to make all their food from scratch and actually uses a distributor.

Stacy Napier 4 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree with Ghost on this one. Reading your past post with profanity in it, along with your username is not a professonal image that one would like to see in a business owner of this city.

b8es 4 years, 10 months ago

Aaaahhhh....This thread sounds like the old Speak Out...It's good to be mud-slinging again.

uapinochet 4 years, 10 months ago

Settle down Chief.. . . er, I mean Chef! No one needs to lose their head over this stuff. :(

Did it ever occur to you to get a different screen name? You can have more than one email account too! Silly boy.

indasky 4 years, 10 months ago

LMAO! you guys are toooooooo funny! How bout we talk about the property taxes or the bus service for kids on the south side of 56, 91/2 blocks away from the primary center? I thinkthats too far for my 6 yr old to walk in the rain.

alterego 4 years, 10 months ago

I am amazed how quick people are to criticize and condemn. This is a new business that is trying to make it in a rotten economy. These folks have made an investment in this community and deserve our encourgement and support. They are trying something new and different in this little town. Perhaps their offering isn't your cup of tea, but openly bashing them on this site is unforgivable.

If you have problems in their restaurant then try to help them out by pointing out your problem. Going on line and anonymously raking them over the coals is not only unproductive but reflects badly on you. Business owners in this town are to be commended for trying to bring goods and services to all of us and having to put up with the small-minded complainers who expect the world but aren't willing to pay for it.

Hang in there Brian and Shawn and all the rest of the staff. Try to not take this stuff too personally (I know it's tough) but also pay attention and try to work on some of the complaints that have been voiced here. There are many out here routing for you and will enjoy the niche you have created.

PapaSteveZ 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to say hang in there Brian, but as far as I know, he got the axe. I'm not entirely sure why, I just know I went in late last week and the food wasn't quite the same. When I asked if Brian was in the kitchen, my server said that he was no longer working in the restaurant. I'm not sure what happened here, but I know it is a substantial loss for the establishment, and the food will never be the same.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the awesome peanut butter cinnamon rolls, and that exceptional cheesecake?

hipgrrrrl 4 years, 10 months ago

If Chef Brian is gone, it's likely his wife isn't providing the desserts any longer. Goodness - that's a shame :(. Loved every sweet I tried there.

We shall see what they continue to provide. I hope whatever they replace them with ends up being as delicious as what they had.

Blog entries