Blogs home mommie2boogie

700 Block of Chapel 2 way street and 30mph?!

I was just informed that the road in front of the old Jr High/grade school, is now becomming a 2 way street, since the schools are fully moved. This decision was done by Mr Jeff Dingman and it is effective immediately.

I would like to point out, has the city put any signs up notifying anyone that it is a 2 way street? No.. sounds like a lovely lawsuit could happen if an accident were to happen.

2nd of all, there is STILL A SCHOOL there. Rainbow Preschool. Many of those young kids do not know to look right and left all the time yet and having it now a 2 way street puts kids even more at a safety risk. For as long as I can remember that strip of Chapel has been one way only. For the flow of traffic for schools, and for the safety of the students and faculty.

Everyday when I go to pick up my son from his classes at the preschool, there is always some one, not paying attention driving faster than they should going the one way allowed, and that alone is a safety issue. Why add it 2 ways, and make it worse?

I urge everyone to please express your displeasure with the way that this is being handled. For the safety of our fellow people in Baldwin, especially our little ones.

February 17, 2011

mommie2boogie

Comments

ksrush 3 years, 7 months ago

I hate to steal your thunder but if you look at the 2/10/11 edition of the paper there is an article talking about this exact subject.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

i am aware of this, i understood it as the stop signs were changing and that the speed limits were changing, however... the one way road was going to be looked at later on due to the "parking."

I was informed via email from the director of the preschool that the change is effective immediately, that it is now a 2 way street...

I thought it was going to vote on Feb 21st?

Stacy Napier 3 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like you anwsered you own question. Eveyone at the school was notified about the change and they sent you an email.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

After getting further clarification on this, the 2 way street is in effect, they are voting on the 21st to remove the school speed limit and up it to 30mph.....

I honestly have to ask... are they out of their friggin minds?!!!

ksrush 3 years, 7 months ago

Maddam you are dealing with the City of Baldwin - there is no mind

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

LOL oh boy do I know that... What about the ball fields? The kids who play there, and not to mention the bunches of kids who play still at the school as a playground. For the love of pete, 30mph through there.....

If you really want your blood to boil, check out how many idiot parents speed waaaay in excess of the POSTED 20-mph speed limit on Bullpup/West Elm (or whatever it's called), every day of the week. Common scenario: people drop their kids at the PC, round the corner onto Bullpup, see that straight-away to the highway and apparently decide that's a great place to gun it.

I saw someone pulled over yesterday morning along there, so maybe the cops have started to crack down. I hope so. If I were Empress of Baldwin, I would put wicked speed bumps along both those streets. That'd learn 'em.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

im sure that parents speed all around the schools, it would be nice if we had a way to stop it, but i dont think the BCPD will set someone at every school when its time for school to be out.

But my issue with this is, okay, they make it a 2 way (for what reason i have no idea, it hasnt been a two way for as long as i and my mother can remember and we grew up here) but to make it 30 mph.... seriously?!

Mr Dingman said this to me, "We did consider the Rainbow school in the discussions, but the thought was that those kids are young enough that they wouldn't be walking around out there without an adult or someone to supervise them getting to where they needed to be."

That is an awfully large assumption right? And what happens, when people assume things?

Come on now, Kids like to run, kids are rowdy and love to play and do not always listen to what is being told, if one of those kids was to jet out of the building (like i see daily) and take off in a sprint with a parent chasing behind them and they end up in the street....God only knows what could happen.

It is OUR job as a community to try to prevent things from happening, to make the area around all schools as safe as possible. And this direction they are going, is not it.

In answer to your first paragraph--- that's why I would suggest speed bumps, which are used effectively in many places. And I think the resigned attitude of "people are going to speed around the schools," so, oh well, is part of the problem. If the police would crack down hard for a while, they probably wouldn't have to watch the area as closely later, as people would get into the habit of observing the school zone speed limit. Right now, they seem to be used to getting away with doing 40, and some of them will keep right on doing that until they are stunned out of complacency with a nice fat ticket.

I can see your point about keeping the 20 mph speed limit around the old PC as long as Rainbow is there, although with stop signs at every corner, which naturally keep the speed down, it is not nearly the problem that it is over at the two newer schools, with those long straightaways. Speed becomes a problem where there's a stop-free stretch and it can build up.

Changing Chapel to a 2-way doesn't strike me as much of an issue. Most schools have two-way streets around them--and, indeed, the old PC is bounded by 3 other 2-way streets, so why would the 4th make any difference? It's the speed that is key--if people were not flying along way over the speed limit, they could stop in time if a kid wandered into the street.

Just out of curiosity, I hope an old-timer (or Dingman or somebody) will clarify for us just how long that stretch of Chapel has been a 1-way street, because I was thinking it used to be 2-way when I moved to Baldwin--and I haven't been here all that long. But you're probably right. Anyone know?

As for why they would change it, my guess is that there simply is no reason for the (albeit, minor) inconvenience of having a 1-way there now that the street isn't flooded with kid-related transportation. Isn't Rainbow going to be moving after this year? If that is the case, that will be the last of the small fry at that school, anyway.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

As of right now, the preschool is staying there, at one time they were supposed to move with the new school but something happened and it didnt work out.

And my mom will probably kill me, but shes in her 50's and she grew up out here as well, and that stretch of chapel, was a one way then as well.

I like the idea of speedbumps... they should put those all around school areas!

mommie2boogie 3 years, 7 months ago

oh and the stop signs were removed. there is only a stop sign now at 8th and chapel turning onto 8th.