Blogs home I'm back!

Appoint Chris Nichols!!

I urge Mayor Ken Wagner to appoint Chris Nichols as his replacement to the City Council. Mr. Nichols came in a close third (lost by eight votes) in the last election, and I firmly believe he deserves the nomination. I also believe this is what the majority of the citizens of Baldwin want (see election results: http://www.douglas-county.com/depts/cl/ve/docs/pdf/electionresults_general_2009.pdf).

Mr. Wagner should have this opportunity at the next City Council meeting, where Mr. Bayer will not be approved by the Council. (At least I hope it will play out like this.)

Comments

I don't know anything about Bayer, so I can't say whether he'd be a good council choice or not, but if he is not approved, I heartily second uapinochet's endorsement of Nichols. I do know enough about him to believe he'd be a great addition to the council.

I hope Wagner is paying attention to the wishes of the community at large. As pinochet says, the community has already showed its approval of Nichols, so he would be a logical choice. Small local election turnout being what it is (dismal), I believe that the mere 8 votes by which Nichols lost was arbitrary--that is, if a few more voters had bothered to turn out, or a few different ones had stayed in, the results could've been different. What that means is, Nichols didn't lose because people didn't want him elected, but maybe just because not enough people turned out to vote that day.

I would rather see the appointment of someone who took the time, effort, and money to lobby for the job (i.e., throw his hat into the race and campaign) than see it handed to someone who didn't put himself on the line.

Again, nothing against Bayer, but it seems to me that if he had really been interested and wanted to serve in that capacity, he could've campaigned and fielded questions like Nichols and the rest. He worked, admirably, on Wagner's campaign, but that surely wouldn't have stopped him from running one of his own. It's pretty easy to step into such a position if it's handed to you by appointment, but (especially as the election was so recent) I'd rather see someone get it who worked for it and put some thought into what he'd do in that capacity.

So, yeah--Mr Wagner, please listen to the community when making your next choice, should Bayer's bid fall short with the rest of the council.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

TheOnlyGrey and uapinochet, I respectfully disagree that the way to support the will of the voters is to appoint Mr. Nichols.
I voted for Mr. Wagner both for city council and again when he ran for Mayor because he was the candidate who best represented my views when it comes to city matters. I believe Mayor Wagner has an obligation to the electorate to select a city council replacement who will continue to represent the platform Mr. Wagner was elected on. I trust that Mayor Wagner gave this matter much consideration and chose accordingly. I for one think Mayor Wagner is “paying attention to the wishes of the community at large” by basing his decision on the results of his election to city council. Mr. Nichols and all those who campaigned deserve our respect, admiration, and gratitude for caring enough for our community to give of their time and money and for putting themselves out there for public scrutiny.

uapinochet 5 years, 3 months ago

Wagner and Bayer have had this scheme going since at least January 2009! That is fine, but what gets me is why Bayer didn't run for one of the at large positions? In my opinion, and apparently, Robin Bayer is unelectable!

Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting this appointment and will contact my representatives on the council.

Stella~ How refreshing to hear from someone who is respectful, thoughtful, and well spoken! You put the rest of us rabble rousers to shame! ;-)

You make some excellent points. I agree that there are more factors to be considered than the election; however, especially with the people's voices so recently heard in the election, I would hope Mr Wagner would not dismiss our wishes so quickly but would, instead, weigh them along with other factors he sees as pertinent to his selection.

Unfortunately, the more I hear about Mr Bayer (and it is amazing how quickly word is going around), the more troubled I am by this choice and by a possible agenda that is shaping up. I very much question whether the interests of the citizenry will be well served with him on the council. Mr Wagner cites the need for "balance" on the council, while others I've talked to feel that balance is exactly what will be lost.

The next council meeting should be interesting. Between now and then, any Baldwin citizens with an opinion on this matter should back up their Speak Out posts with an email or phone call to the mayor and the present council members. I, for one, intend to do so. This must be done in one's actual name, not anonymously, so they will know whether they have 10 people commenting or just one spammer with issues...

If we don't make our thoughts known before the next meeting, we will forfeit our right to complain if get someone on the council that we do not like and who does not well represent us, Discussing things on Speak Out is good and the anonymity serves many useful purposes; but when it comes to important issues such as this, we each owe it to ourselves to learn as much as possible and to rattle some cages on our own behalf. A passive populace often leads to complacent (or even corrupt) public servants. Email or call the council and the mayor and be heard!

Stella: You seem to assume that the "majority" of the voters agree with you. This is where many of our U.S. elections are going off the rails. To assume that a decision made by a small percentage of eligible voters gives one carte blanche to railroad the rest of the constituency is ludicrous.

The only candidate who could possibly have had this situation by virtue of being elected major was Ken Wagner. Had either of the other two mayoral candidates been elected, Ken would still be a council member and there would be no council seat to argue over. And while a vacating council member might normally seek to protect the interests of his supporters in appointing someone with similar political interests, that is usually because the incumbent is actually leaving the picture. In this case, Ken Wagner is able to represent his supporters as mayor, but also seeks to increase their influence by appointing another council member who will vote along the same lines. So, far from attempting to maintain balance, he is, by this appointment, seeking to increase his clout, therefore unbalancing the council. It is his prerogative to do so, however, such a move shows us that he is ready to stack the deck in favor of his own agenda. Were he prepared to lead with equanimity and balance, he would make a choice that demonstrates goodwill toward the entire voting populace of B.C.

BaldwinDad 5 years, 3 months ago

TheOnlyGreyGhost: Small local election turnout being what it is (dismal), I believe that the mere 8 votes by which Nichols lost was arbitrary—that is, if a few more voters had bothered to turn out, or a few different ones had stayed in, the results could've been different.

I would disagree with you here ghost the votes aren't arbitrary....he lost, whether it be by 8 votes are 800 the voters decided. However, I do agree he in my opinion has more right to the counsel seat then Mr. Bayer being as he did run for it, but being I didn't win the seat being vacated it's not my right to nominate someone only Mr. Wagner can do that.

NanCrisp: You seem to assume that the “majority” of the voters agree with you. This is where many of our U.S. elections are going off the rails. To assume that a decision made by a small percentage of eligible voters gives one carte blanche to railroad the rest of the constituency is ludicrous.

What is ludicrous is you made that statement in the first place. In any fair and open election, the size of the turn out whether it is a small percentage of the population or every one eligible to vote in it, doesn't matter as much as who wins the most votes of the people that take the time to cast their ballot. No one is keeping people from voting the fact that we had early voting on a Saturday and then all day election day should have given everyone a chance to vote. I mean really, by your statement, one could simply stay that since a majority of people didn't vote in the last election there was no clear winner we should disband the city council leave the Mayoral office vacant and wait till everyone else shows up to vote. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way either get informed and show up cast your vote or deal with the outcome.

Fist bump to uap!!
You called it before the election. I just refreshed myself on your Miss Cleo-like capabilities by reading your other blog. Many of you "out there" should freshen up also.

There are a couple of other spill-over blogs related to this topic as well. Good reading and entertaining!!!! The only difference is this one names names (Cue Torch and Bloggerboo--Socialism Scare).

BaldwinDad:

What is ruining this country and polarizing everyone to the point of destruction is the notion that all that is required of a would-be civil servant is to gain the thinnest possible margin that can be called a victory, then take that as a "mandate" to do whatever you want with the office you have just been elected to.

Sure, an elected official can choose to do that. What happens, then, is that there are a large number of constituents who disagree with the policies and will not be able to support the incumbent. How refreshing it would be to have someone get elected to office and actually realize that earning 54% of 20% of registered voters actually amounts to a support level of 11%. If the incumbent were to act in such a way as to try to gain the approval of the 80% of constituents who did not vote for him/her, we might actually have meaningful representation in government. As long as we all continue to look at the governance of our country as if it were a football game, with a two-party system that refuses to compromise or concede that there is a middle road available, we will continue to falter as a nation.

By the way, whether a person exercises his/her right to vote or not, he/she is still a constituent of the region that a city council, mayor, school board, county commission, state representative, state senator, governor, federal representative, federal senator, or president represents. When you are elected to office, you represent all the people in your district, those who voted for you, those who voted against you, and those who did not cast a vote. And yes, I did vote; I always vote. But I also understand the reasons why people may abstain from so doing -- in fact, our elected representatives often exercise their right not to vote at any given time but that does not preclude them from participation in our government.

BaldwinDad~ I may not have made my point very clearly. I agree--he lost fair and square and you're quite right--it counts the same whether by 8 votes or 800...

What I feel is arbitrary was the number of voters who turned out. I know that some didn't vote just because it was (pick all that apply) inconvenient, they had other things going on, they forgot, etc.. Others voted not because they were driven (as in the pres. election) but because they happened to be in the vicinity that day, so why not? I'm not being cynical--this is all too true of any local election. The number of voters in small elections really is arbitrary, driven by variables (weather, work schedules, babies at home, etc) that have nothing to do with the candidates. This is not my opinion, it is a sad fact, replicated throughout the country.

So all I meant was that, since Nichols' loss came down to a handful of voters, rather than (say) a several hundred, which would have indicated that a LOT of people were making a statement that they didn't want him, the outcome indicates that Baldwin would be comfortable with Nichols on the council. People do make a purposeful effort if they have strong feelings about the candidates, pro or con.

If Bayer had thrown his hat into the ring, I wonder how many votes he would've gotten--and whether more voters would've turned out.

The mayor has the legal right to appoint whomever he sees fit. And the council has the legal right to accept or deny that appointment. But it sure would be nice if the mayor, who should want to prove to us that he was the best choice for that job, would look beyond what he "can" legally do and instead try to discern what the community prefers.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

The more I learn about this potential appointment, the more I know that this is NOT who we want making decisions in our city. I am absolutely appalled that Ken Wagner even considered this as the best choice for the council. This move has lost him a considerable amount of respect in my eyes and in the eyes of a good number of people, many of whom voted for him and are truly disappointed.

Call or email your mayor and city council and let them know that this is not acceptable!

AncientBaldwin 5 years, 3 months ago

I think this appointment process is a bit sketchy at best. Wagner cites Bayer's knocking on 85% of the doors in Baldwin as a qualification. If that is the case, I know of at least 3 high schoolers and one Baker student that are likely more qualified for the post. Legally this isn't pay-to-play on Wagner's part, but it has the exact same stink about it. (hey we can have our own Blago!)

Instead of rewarding a campaign crony, how about rewarding the city by appointing the experienced Nichols? Obviously he had the support of an even amount, minus eight of the voting public. (perhaps Wagner is afraid to have intelligent representation on the council he has to deal with) Bayer was on no Ballot, and has a dubious record in public service in Baldwin at best.

Though he would add another neophyte (a bumbling one at that) to a City Council full of members with no experience whatsoever, Bayer did, however, at the time a 1 year carpetbagger, serve on the Library Board, during which time he tried to get long time employees fired, and ultimately quit his post (I think he was Board President at that point) by setting a box of Library paperwork and other materials he had of theirs in a box outside the Library when it was closed. That was how he announced his leaving the post.

I would like to think Our Mayor would have the maturity to do the right thing rather than paying back a door knocking favor that he could have gotten virtually anyone to do.

The last point for me, besides experience is that I feel there should be a better representation of lifelong, or long time Baldwin residents, with a sense of history and tradition on the City Council.

I Implore everyone to attend the Council Meeting, and speak up to the Mayor and Council about this regrettable choice, perhaps we can avoid the city budget from getting rain smeared when Bayer decides to leave this post in the classy manner he left the Library Board.

hoosierdaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, well, well. The truth will out, as they say. According to a friend of mine that works at a local newspaper, apparently Mr. Bayer didn't resign from the Library Board. He was booted out by the other members because of his notorious drinking problem. Seems that every Saturday night you could find Mr. Bayer at the Salt Mine tanked out of his gourd until the owner finally had to throw him out or drive him back to his house.

Nice work, Wagner. That's exactly the kind of people you need in your administration. Folks, you need to make sure that the City Council does NOT approve his appointment at the next meeting. The future of our City and the future of our children demands that we take action against this blatant act of political reward on Wagner's part.

hoosierdaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

On top of all the scandels, have you ever actually talked to this bozo? He can't hardly even form a complete sentence. I'd bet my bottom dollar he didn't even complete high school. Not surprising since he's from Wichita.

AncientBaldwin 5 years, 3 months ago

Let's not blame all of Wichita for one regrettable individual. Yes, I know it's mostly a pit, but better people do come from there. It would also be letting Bayer off easily to blame his ineptness and scandals on the city that had the great fortune to give birth to him.

"Yes, I know it's mostly a pit, but better people do come from there."

Yeah, like the BTK?

hoosierdaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

"Let's not blame all of Wichita for one regrettable individual."

This person is way beyond "regrettable". He is the cruelest, most cold-blooded @s$h*le I have every met. I witnessed personally where he lied and stole from my friends, and then later bragged about it (laughing the whole time). It will only be a matter of time before we read of him looting the City coffers, unless all of you stand up and demand that your city council members vote him out of office.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope all of you that have "spoken out" about Mr. Bayer have actually made the necessary phone calls so your voice is heard!

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

You people are unbelievable. I love how you 5-6 people that complain about everything feel that you represent the majority. Last night I went back and read a few old threads and it doesn't seem like you are happy with anything. It must be sad living your life pissed at everyone and everything. My guess is that very few of you, if any, have taken anytime to get to know Mr. Bayer. I don't know him so I'm not going to pass judgment but I have seen him around town and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some of the posts that have shown up on this thread have not only been false but the authors should be ashamed of themselves and my thanks go out to Jeff Myrick for pulling them.

I'd like to encourage the constant complainers to start a new thread so I don't have to waste my time reading your negative, poor me posts.

AncientBaldwin 5 years, 3 months ago

hellothere, I know a handful of people who know him pretty darn well. You say you don't know him, and will give him th benefit of the doubt. You must have come to know him by your next sentence when you claim that there were false posts about him. Not knowing him, how could you know?

I would like to encourage you to follow another thread if the conversation does not suit you. I, and no one else is here for your purposes. This is a conversation. You don't have to like it. You don't have to read it. As long as there is no profanity, threats or harassments, I am all for as open a discussion as a group wants to have. It must be sad living your life pissed at an open discussion that has statements you disagree with.

But keep pushing for that censorship...perhaps you can have the Orwellian world you seem to desire.

greyghost - the law of averages dictates that at least 3 or 4 good people would live in Wichita. Whether they have plans to move or not, I couldn't tell you.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, Mr. Bayer's appointment stands. Congratulations, Mr. Wagner, on appointing a crook to make decisions for your fine city.

uapinochet 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the update cranky, however disappointing it is.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

According to three people who were in attendance at the council meeting last night not one of you turned up to give a public comment. You anonymously hurl insults and spread gossip all the while imploring others to take a stand. Please explain….where were you last night?

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

Do you have the phone records of everyone stellaMck? Because you might want to make sure that people weren't giving their two cents worth by phone or even email before you go into full on attack mode.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

full attack mode? You're a joke. The first article on this issue was shoddy at best and is worthy of a follow-up. Perhaps Jeff will question the Mayor and council members about the number of people contacting them about this and then accurately communicate those facts in an article. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors about the number contacting the Mayor (0), but I, unlike several of you, prefer facts over gossip.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes I am hostile toward people like you. You’re completely incapable of an honest debate – you’re nothing but a bully. People like George McCrary, Ken Wagner and Tony Brown give up their time and energy for this community. You and your ilk are too intellectually lazy to voice your opposition with facts – you simply go for the easy personal attack. It is shameful and disgusting.
You endlessly whine and moan about those who try to make a difference. You try to shut down all who disagree with you with your pithy “panties in a wad” arguments. You take exception to my posts that call for respectful debate and accurate reporting. You claim that the lack of public comment in the council meeting is meaningless - claiming the contacts were made by phone and email. If that is the case, your council members grossly under represented you, as they had NOTHING to say about the matter. Where is your outrage against them? Apparently demanding adequate representation doesn’t fit into your anti-Wagner-Bayer agenda. Obviously you are passionate about what happens in this community – you gleefully trade away your dignity for a chance to smear your neighbors. Why don’t you and the other Limbaughian posters throw your hat in the ring? I can see the speakout posts about your kind right now…. Candidate #1:
Disgruntled and ineffectual city employee soaked in the painful knowledge of his/her own ineptitude. Lashes out at a candidate who runs on a platform of customer focus and professionalism within the city staff - knowing he/she can’t cut it in a professional environment. Candidate #2:
Masquerades his personal vendetta against his ex-wife’s husband by touting his concern for the welfare of the city. Has forgotten the old adage “He who lives in a glass trailer should not throw stones.”

You see – I hear rumors too, you a**hats. Full attack mode – I’m just getting started.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

You have completely skewed the point I have been trying to make. I was doing nothing but trying to support those that actually DID throw their hat into the ring for a spot on the Council. No, I don't agree with Bayer's appointment. My opinion is based on the FACTS that I have by people who have been in business dealings with him.

As for your Candidate #1 and Candidate #2 comments, I have no idea what you're talking about. But I'd like to ask you, who is throwing stones now? Don't be outraged at personal attacks by others when you are conducting some of your own.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

If that was what you were trying to do, you failed miserably. And thinking you have the FACTS about business disputes is like picking sides between two squabbling pre-adolescents. Just ask George McCrary. He was viciously attacked about business dealings a few months ago. I’m sure he has a much different perspective than was presented by the vile posters on this site.
You people pick out public figures and anonymously spread your puke. Candidate #1 and #2 should get the message loud and clear – they know exactly who I am talking about and they now know they are not as anonymous as they suppose. And if I had really sunk to their level, I would have named names.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

stellaMck,

May I suggest some time outdoors in the fresh air? Or how about a drink?

You don't know what I know about anything. All of the mayoral and council candidates had to put their names on the line and risk being splattered all over the place. Mr. Bayer can expect the same. Since you're so against all of this anonymous tongue wagging, why don't you post your name as well as the names of the people you attacked?

And finally, I don't feel like I failed miserably at anything. I spoke my opinion, I made my concerns known. I have every right to do so. Just as you do to join in the discussion and go completely ape sh*t. I still think it's humorous that you spewed your own "puke" at two people who are supposedly "known" and then have a breakdown because others have done the same. Get over it.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

So I guess we know where you stand... In full support of anonymous puke spewing. Classy. Breakdown - full attack mode - panties in a wad - apesh*t. What a bully.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

And where do you stand stellaMck? Holier than thou or puke (your own classy word, not mine) spreader?

You dragged others into this by speaking about their "ex-wife's husband" and the "ineffectual city employee", which tilted you a little towards the puke spreading side. I don't care if you think I'm a bully. I don't care if you don't like my choice of words. I disagree with you. And that is that.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

You use the classic argument styling of an abuser, meant to belittle your opponent with gender loaded insults questioning their mental state.
Your request that I name names...You just can't get enough of that gossip, can you? It does not suprise me in the least that you cannot tell the difference between anonymous attacks against named public figures and an anonymous posting letting the puke spreaders know they are not so anonymous. After all, you have displayed a very shallow capacity for thought.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry, stellaMck, but you are overthinking my words. To call me an abuser is laughable, and would be to anyone who knows me.

I did not request that you call them out by name because I wanted to know who they are. I could care less who they are. I wanted you to take a look at your own words after so heartily blasting me for mine.

And no, stellaMck, I do not have a shallow capacity for thought. Please don't call me a bully and then behave like one yourself with your arrogant put downs.

stellaMck 5 years, 3 months ago

I accept your apology. Now try to behave.

cranky 5 years, 3 months ago

You're welcome, stellaMck.

And by the way, thank you for the new word to add to my classy vocabulary. I just LOVE *sshat!

"According to three people..." "I have heard unsubstantiated rumors ..." "You just can't get enough of that gossip, can you?" --stellaMck

Hypocrite.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

I understood the candidate 1 and 2 comments. I thought they were very funny.

Also, leave it to greyghost to come in at the end and complain. Stella, I look forward to more posts from you.

stella and hellothere,

I don't understand the candidate 1 and 2 comments. Please explain in detail or give better hints. I just can't get enough of that gossip. Don't worry, you're completely anonymous so you won't be found out.

Also, I didn't mean to come in at the end (again) and complain.