Blogs home Criteria for Setting the Kansas House Agenda

Criteria for Setting the Kansas House Agenda

10th District Constituents,

Just so you know how decisions are made in Topeka, consider the following:

1. House Speaker Mike O'Neal is an avid fan of the Kansas University basketball team.
  2. The Jayhawks are scheduled to play in the Big 12 tournament Thursday morning at 11:30 am.
  3. The Kansas House will convene on Thursday at 8:00 am rather than the customary 11:00 am.

Tony Brown

March 10, 2010

Criteria for Setting the Kansas House Agenda

Comments

This is the what constituents call the “fundamental schedule manipulation error.” Politicians who alter scheduled conventions do so because they are bad politicians.

There may, in fact, be other reasons why he manipulated the schedule.

solo 4 years, 9 months ago

What's your point Tony? If I didn't know better I'd think you were irritated you had to be at work early that day. Seriously---what are you getting at?

thelongestnameonthespeakoutttt 4 years, 9 months ago

Really TONY. Seems to me that the state of Kansas should be celebrating the success of both KU and KSU basketball. Look at all the national exposure they are bringing to our great state. Look at the two great games those teams played for the fans this year. Look at the great exposure the 2008 National Championship brought our state. Tony, with your post, I personally don't think you really care what it means for the state of Kansas. When a future representative had a "Kansas, As Bigoted As You Think" sticker on there red car, that tells me all I need to know. Respectfully, a non-supporter of yours.

sawman 4 years, 9 months ago

It would appear Peabrain wants to initiate some debiasing techniques. He also appears to be under-valuing the situational explanations for this behavior.

rockytop 4 years, 9 months ago

Could it be that Peabody actually is a supporter of KU basketball but understands that taking time off to go to the game instead of working on fixing our state's budget crisis just maybe isn't the best use of the Speaker's time? I certainly don't get to take a mini-vacation when I have a crisis at my job.

rockytop: Changing the schedule is not the same as taking time off. But good spin attempt.

kermit: Both, from what I have seen of their comments and actions.

I'm not a fan of Speaker O'Neal. Although some might like him just because he's in their party (the Jayhawk party), I prefer to remain independent. I also like the Tigers. Hurray! Hurrah! Mizzou!

khayes 4 years, 9 months ago

Good news Tony KU won so you may return to work now. :)

Peabody 4 years, 9 months ago

Dear Posters,

Thanks for the lively feedback!

Tony

rockytop 4 years, 9 months ago

Nan, changing the schedule is one thing. But until you can show me that Mike O'Neal moved the committee, conference and constituent meetings that usually take place in the mornings before the House meets on the floor, I'll still say he gave himself half the day off. Unless he hurried back from KC after the Jayhawks won...do you suppose?

indasky 4 years, 9 months ago

WHY WERE THERE 5 POLICE CARS A STATE TROOPER AND AN AMBULANCE AT THE INTERMEDIATE CENTER AT 3:15PM ON 3/10???? WAS THE SCHOOL ON LOCKDOWN?