Blogs home City Pool Fees

Family Pass Fee

Image

I see they have reinstated the "family pass" again. But what do you know, they raised the rate from $150 to $200. Seems kinda steep to me for a pool that really doesn't have any extra amenities to offer.

Was curious, so I checked the price for a "family pass" at Gardner. They have a really nice aquatic center with multiple slides and other things for the little ones, for those that haven't been. Their price for a "family pass" is $140 for residents and $180 for non-residents. For a facility that obviously costs more to build and run, they sure are able to charge more reasonable rates.

Now before you tell me, "why don't you just move to Gardner than" (maybe I would if I could sell my house), I'm just trying to show that this city can not keep the rates of anything comparable to neighboring citites.

Does anybody know if BCRC sets the rates or is it the city? Please voice your opinion.

February 20, 2009

City Pool Fees

Comments

Spiderpig 5 years, 10 months ago

Seems pretty cheap for 70-ish days of babysitting which is what a lot of families use it for. Drop 'em off early and pick 'em up late.

What's $10 a month? According to Amy Cleavinger we all can afford that.

My parents live in Gardner. My kids love the aquatic center there! Not only is it less expensive in total price tag, but you get more for your money in every way. They don't close the 2nd week of August like the Baldwin pool does!

BTW - When my father retired several years ago I talked them into moving to B.C. That lasted about 3 years and then the utility rates started going up, up, up, so they moved. They've been in Gardner for about 4 years now.

kermit 5 years, 9 months ago

Gardner vs. Baldwin. Not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison.

However the larger point is that Gardner is community growing with residents and businesses who help spread the tax burden and rate misery out. Seems to me we need to rethink the typcial Baldwin ostrich mentality about burying one's head in the sand and not wanting Baldwin to "change". We need that change in the form of growth to make this town a place we can all afford to live. Heck, we'll have a nice new school and facilities to beckon those folks in won't we?

baldwinfan 5 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me that we are paying a lot for growth already. Maybe we should institute a tax on new development with the money going to a new pool or the next school bond that will be needed in another 5 years.

b8es 5 years, 9 months ago

I've got a theory: Torch is Amy Cleavinger.

RobC 5 years, 9 months ago

b8es, are you serious? Why don't you and Torch start blaming the thousands of people that voted YES instead of being critical of one person trying to make a difference. Better yet show your face, cowards. If you are that unhappy then move to somewhere where they do not care about improving their community. You both will fit right in.

b8es 5 years, 9 months ago

Chill out RobC. Do you read much? Show me where I was critical of Cleavinger.

Since sarcasm isn't your strong point, I will spell it out for you: I was being sarcastic when I suggested that Torch was, in fact, Amy Cleavenger. The joke is centered on the fact that I think Torch has taken his attacks on Amy a little too far, and my suggestion that Torch is actually Amy might be taken as a bit of a jab at Torch.

I know, it's a lot to digest all at once. Sorry about that. Next time I will type slower, just for you, RobC.

RobC 5 years, 9 months ago

It's Rob Cleavinger for short. I am not afraid to hide behind some pen name. I apologize for lumping you into the mix with Torch, but you tend to lose your sacrcasim after your family continues to be ridiculed by nameless and shameless individuals.

b8es 5 years, 9 months ago

Rob: Sorry I had to be such a smart a$$ about it. I accept your apology, thank you. I obviously speak for the majority of the voters in our community (see the election results) when I say that I supported the school bond, and the efforts of those on the School Board to remain forward thinking and progressive when the vocal minority are slinging arrows. Amy's efforts to promote the improvement of education in our community are completely appropriate, and much appreciated by the silent majority of us who really care about Baldwin's future and the future of our youth. Amy is a smart, well spoken, and energetic leader. She is an asset to the Council and community and she does not deserve to be railed upon and personally attacked. It is idiots like Torch that keep good people from seeking elected offices.

kermit 5 years, 9 months ago

Although I did not support the bond issue for a number of reasons I do respect Amy C's committment to what she thinks is right for the community. She doesn't deserve the childish snipes she has been getting. It takes a lot of thick skin to run for public office in this community and it takes even thicker skin to stand up for issues that may be unpopular with a large number of your constituency. I admire her and everyone on the School Board and City Commission who are willing to do this kind of public service.

Let's remember we have another election coming up this spring. Notice no one is running for School Board? Wonder why. There have also been some nasty remarks made about our mayoral candidates. I wonder if we could try to refrain from the personal attacks and just stick to the issues Baldwin is facing come this election. there is enough disgreement on issues to go around. No harm arguing content let's just not get personal. Does anyone think this is possible?

towniegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

Torch- Obviously according to a lot more people than Amy Cleavinger we can afford $10 a month. Stop your personal attacks on Amy. She has served this community and school district well and done what has been in the best interests of those entities, even if it meant she didn't agree with it personally.

The patrons spoke up and the bond issue passed. Get over it. I haven't figured out why you're still here after all of these years. You are the most unhappy citizen in this town...and please don't give the excuse of not being able to sell your house...I'm sure if you had left it on the market over the last five years that you have complained about this town, it would have sold by now.

I just have to set something straight here. The "majority" was very thin in this election. The margin of approval was less than 400 votes. Interestingly, more than 400 Baker students voted in B.C. in this same election. While they qualify to vote, their take on City issues is quite different than that of property owners and more permanent residents. So, setting aside the votes of college students who were more interested in the presidential election than any consideration to what they were voting for on the rest of the ballot, you now have a voting public that is split pretty much down the middle as to whether or not the bond issue was an appropriate burden on the B.C. taxpayers at the present time.

School board and City leaders, please try to keep this in mind as you move forward. The least you can do for the half of us who did not support this bond issue is to act as wisely and responsibly as is humanly possible. Try to take a page from the book of George W. Bush, who thought that his 50/50 win in 2000 gave him carte blanche to work his will against the will of at least half of the nation. His political party will reap the results for years to come.

towniegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

And were you privvy to the ballots Nan? I suppose you know for a fact that the 400-margin difference was by Baker students not by any community members?

kermit 5 years, 9 months ago

towniegirl, I have to ask. knowing what you know now are you still glad you voted for the bond issue? in this economy and unemployment rising by the week do you really think this bond issue is a good plan ---at least right now? I am not trying to bate anyone. I am just very concerned on how on earth we are going to afford this. If you have lost your job and/or your home value is sinking how can we afford this?

BaldwinDad 5 years, 8 months ago

I think the children and education are a sound investment, but that being said I will be voting against any future school bond issues until we see some significant growth in this town by both residential and business to help offset the costs of future bonds.

Just like the original reason for this post there is no point in my opinion to keep improving the amenities in this town beyond the surrounding communities if it's too expensive to live here.

The main benefit in my opinion to living in Baldwin is the small town feel and the safety that comes in knowing your neighbors, but at the rate we are going all my neighbors are going to move to more affordable communities.