Blogs home Baldwinfuture

Our Future

I can't for the life of me understand how any person would not support our Children and the future of the Balwin Community. It has been proven Statewide that when School Districts build up to date modern Schools the Community grows and prospers. Yes, taxes go up for the short term but then as the Community grows the taxes are spread over a larger tax base. The 1st thing a new business or maufactoring companies look at before moving to a Community is the Schools.Yes, the Economy is not the best right now but because it is down, we can get very low interest rates on the Bonds that will be issued to pay for these improvements and Contractors are wanting work so they will be bidding strong to win the building contracts. When the economy improves interest rates will rise and so will construction costs. It will never be cheaper to build than it will be NOW.Under the current Kansas Law, we will get 27% of all of the principal and interest paid by the State of Kansas. Yes, we are the State but a small percent of the State and we are helping other Districts pay for their new buildings. Now is the time for them to help us pay for our's.This could change in the future but all Districts that have passed their Bonds issues would be Grandfathered. We can't take the risk that the aid may be gone if we have to vote again. I heard a man say that our Children are a small percentage of our Population but aree 100% of our Future. Don't we want the best educated kids leading us into the future? Let's not argue and fight with the negitive NO voters who only care about their taxes and not our kids. Let's get behind the School Board and get this Bond Election passed the 1st time so it won't cost us more later with less to show for it. The sooner we get these much needed improvements buildt more of our Children will be able to have the benifits. It's good for the kids and for the Baldwin Community. Vote YES on Election Day

September 12, 2008

Baldwinfuture

Comments

baldwinfan 6 years ago

The problem is that I don't want my children going to a large school. I don't want the community to grow. The smaller the school the more opportunity they have to be on the football, basketball or other sports team. If I wanted to live in a 5A school district, I would move to Lawrence.

Bloggerboo 6 years ago

FYI: Lawrence has two 6A schools. No comparison there. Gardner and Paola are or have been 5A schools, and they are the teams/schools we compete against.

"Besides, why does the quality of education depend on what building the classes are taught?" Seriously? You are joking, right? One example for those that might not realize you are joking and think "Hey, yeah! Why does it matter?": it matters for a host of reasons, but if the building in which you are currently being educated is too hot/cold, has spider/snake/rat/mice infestations, is too small for the number of students, or the growing mold problem aggravates your allergies, that might be something to take into consideration. The cost of repair compared to the cost of building nice, new, larger facilities makes it worthwhile to pass this bond issue on that fact alone.

baldwinfan 6 years ago

I'll change my statement then, "If I wanted to live in a 5A school district, I would move to Gardner:" I grew up in a 2A school and played iron man football. I don't expect the same in Baldwin, but I would like Baldwin to be a 4A school and prefer to keep the growth of Baldwin slow. I don't want it too small, but I just don't see advantages to a large school. Maybe you could educate me on why Gardner is better because they are a larger school?

How much would it cost to repair the current facilities? If it's really as bad as you say, why wouldn't the health agencies condemn the building? I wasn't joking in my first post, but in a joking manner, I would think that the spiders/snakes/rat/mice could be an educational advantage. Why learn about the animals in books when you have the real thing!!!

Justask 6 years ago

To baldwinfan: What if my kids have no interest in sports? What if he/she is in a wheelchair? What if his/her interests are in computer science or performing arts or even in just having skilled teachers who would prefer to work in modern classrooms applying 21st-century teaching styles and lesson plans? Or what if he/she turns out to be a skilled soccer player whose practices are on field no better than a cow pasture?

I know you'll find it hard to believe, but some of us think school is more than just football. Research shows that 80 percent of the students currently in high school will work at jobs that haven't even been invented yet. Don't you think our very youngest students deserve a quality education from the very beginning?

This bond isn't about making the school population larger, it's about making USD 348's facilities and education better. The new Primary Center will be large enough to house all of the four year old programs, PEP, Parents As Teachers and Rainbow Preschool-all programs dedicated to the health and learning potential of our youngest community members. These teachers and parent educators would actually be able to interact with each other daily, something other school districts take for granted.

I am inferring from your post that you haven't been inside the Primary Center lately. You should go, preferably around 8 a.m. or at 3:25 p.m. Call Deb Ehling-Gwin at 594-2444 and let her take you on a tour. Or at least go the www.usd348.com and click on the Bond Information link. Get educated about why this bond is so important.

P.S. And if the Primary Center tour doesn't convince you, then think of this: the bond includes the cost of a regulation gym at the primary center (a new place for basketball and volleyball practice), new regulation size ball fields that won't take two days to dry out in the sunshine and a practice track and fields (both soccer and football) sure to make even the toughest athlete's eyes water with pride. : )

baldwinfan 6 years ago

At Justask, "This bond isn't about making the school population larger, it's about making USD 348's facilities and education better." I was referring to hipgrrrrl's comment in the first post, "The 1st thing a new business or maufactoring companies look at before moving to a Community is the Schools."

I'm not convinced that we need the basketball, football, and soccor fields. My 4 yr old played at the intermediate center with pvc piped nets for goals. I don't think it would have matterred if they were gold plated. It was the experience, the coach, and other families that we enjoyed. Not state of the art facilities. You missed my point with the sports example. I don't care if you think about it as thespians, FFA, FHA, or any other activity. At a certain point, too large of groups water down the time spent with the leader. Think of it as Baker vs. KU. Do I want my kid in a lecture hall with 200 other kids or with a small class of 10-15 with more one on one time with the teacher.

hipgrrrrl 6 years ago

Just to clarify:

Baldwinfuture wrote the initial post on this blog in response to my previous posting. Not that it really matters, but my feelings regarding this issue are not those of Baldwinfuture.

More importantly, I know all about paragraphs :).

HipGrrrrl

p_zinzer 6 years ago

Right on, Torch. Preach it, brother.

Bloggerboo 6 years ago

"Too much money being spent on too many things that don't make the student any more competitive in the job market."

Not too mention there is $500,000 in this bond JUST FOR TECHNOLOGY at every school in the district. Tell me how that doesn't make a student more competitive in the job market...

Torch 6 years ago

Hello? Is anyone home? Knock knock!

There's a recession bordering on depression happening right before your very eyes. The market dropped 500 points on Tuesday. Financial institutions are failing.

Taxes are going up, the cost of living is through the ceiling, and the cost of living in a bedroom community like Baldwin is out of sight.

Perhaps you should read a newspaper other than the Signal so you can get a clue on what we're facing. Now is the absolute LAST TIME anyone should consider taking on more debt.

In happier times I may support this bond (MAY!) but right now it would be foolish and perhaps bordering on criminal to take on this bond issue. Do we really need a new venue for Mr. Cooper's concerts? I'm a big supporter of sports but any expansion right now would be foolish.

I will not disagree with you about children being important...but simply throwing money at something doesn't necessarily make it better (even though Greyghost thinks that's the solution to everything.)

If you truly believe the childrens' future is so important, then do them a favor and don't hang this albatross around their necks that they'll have to pay for.

Finally, the idea of smaller classrooms with more 1-on-1 time with the teacher is a complete fallacy. Students who desire to have the time with the teacher will get it...and I've never, ever, in over 40 years of being associated with a school EVER heard a student complain that they didn't get the attention or help they actively sought. If that is happening...then the teacher should be fired. But it doesn't happen because almost without exception even the marginal teachers will make time to help someone who truly wants help.

P.S. The paragraph is your friend.

bc 6 years ago

Have you never been to an interview where they didn't talk about your extra-curricular activities? Many employers look at how well balanced an individual is which includes extra-curricular activities. It's even recommended that you include your extra-curricular accomplishments on your resume if you've just graduated.

NanCrisp 6 years ago

As long as U.S. citizens continue to believe that shiny new classrooms will educate their children, parents with any common sense will run, not walk, to the nearest private school. As a nation, we have left behind the substance in favor of appearances. And mounting statistics prove that for all our modern, state-of-the-art school buildings and classrooms, we continue to fall further and further behind the rest of the industrialized world in education. Which two countries are providing the world's scientists, doctors, engineers? India and China. Are these countries known for cutting edge architecture? State-of-the-art technology? Nope. Those kids expect to learn and their teachers expect to teach and they all get their sense of accomplishment from the success of the graduates, not from showing off their fine buildings.

Justask 6 years ago

NanCrisp "Which two countries are providing the world's scientists, doctors, engineers? India and China. Are these countries known for cutting edge architecture? State-of-the-art technology? Nope."

I usually don't come right out and say this (not even to Torch), but on this issue, you're wrong. Schools in China, India (and Turkey for that matter) do have cutting edge technology. How do I know? I have friends that are teaching or have taught overseas, and not in Department of Defense schools. Real schools in really poor areas. When I told one of my friends that we had to have a school carnival to raise money to buy ELMOs and projectors for our elementary school, she laughed. Why? Because the public schools in China have had them for years. Another friend had to learn new technology before she even started teaching in Turkey. She had all the modern theories, but this technology helps her apply it in a better way. And my friend in India says he can't believe the support he gets from the parents. Anything he needs and the school doesn't provide, the parents do. And this is one of the poorest areas in the world. They desperately want the children in their communities to have the best education possible because they know that's the key to a better future.

As for those scientists, doctors and engineers....where do you think they get those college degrees? Here. Then they go home and use them. And these are the people our children will be competing with for good jobs. Yeah, it's a cliche, but career competition is global, no matter how much we try to ignore it.

I believe, and this is just my opinion, that one of the main problems in education is that we cannot get or keep quality teachers in the classrooms. Most leave within five years. Good teachers want quality classroom space. decent salaries and technology that has been proven to work. Who can blame them? I wouldn't want to work in a cr@phole either. Given a choice between working at Baldwin's Primary Center or a new facility in Gardner, where would you choose to go? They also want respect and support from the community.

This bond cannot help with salaries, that's not how budgets are set up in Kansas and it won't be changed anytime soon. But we can provide opportunities for good teachers to teach good kids. We can show the great teachers we have that we want them to stay here. And we can show our kids that education is important enough to save $5 every week to help pay for building that isn't falling down around their ears. And that's why I'm voting yes for this bond.

Spiderpig 6 years ago

You people have to realize that when you compare foreign country schools to US schools you are comparing apples to oranges.

You will see no No Child Left Behind there. Only their best kids even go to school. The others are put to work. They don't have SPED kids in every classroom with the more intelligent kids.

I am not saying that one system is better than the other, but I just don't feel you can compare them.

Stacy Napier 6 years ago

And if we are talking technology, I don't consider all the MACs in the school Technology. Tell me how many companies use MACs as their network.

You all are talking about how competitive in the job market our students are. I don't any student with just a highschool deploma that is competitive. Give me a break You don't put on a job resume that you were on the varsity football team in highschool.

The whole point in this bond debate is that the taxes are not going up just for a little while. Their long range plane includes another bond issue in 5-6 years for a new JHS and then another in 3-4 years for improvements to the HS. You are looking at increased taxes for the next 30 years. Most of us will be retired by then (or moved out of Baldwin).

I guess all of you that lived here all your life and went to school in the current buildings didn't amount to a thing, that is why we need new ones so that our kids will be better educated.

Jane 6 years ago

I would gladly support the new bond but I agree with these comments--we are in tough times right now...the price of gas, utilities, groceries, etc. Again, I'd like to support it but at this time...it is very scary to take on more to pay for right now. I agree, the kids' future is very important to us. I think the teachers/staff is doing a great job working with what we have in the community. I'm grateful for what we have already. Perhaps times will change and prices of everything will go down and then...maybe...we would be able to afford to put forth the money for new improvements. *see my comments posted on Utilities...we need to perhaps work on one debt at a time here.

bc 6 years ago

"I would gladly support the new bond but I agree with these comments-we are in tough times right now:the price of gas, utilities, groceries, etc."

"Perhaps times will change and prices of everything will go down and then:maybe:we would be able to afford to put forth the money for new improvements."

Please keep this in mind, it has been said before, but to reiterate: taxpayers won't see an increase in taxes until Nov 2009. While times seem hard right now, things could be much different next year. What are we going to do if this fails and we are 1 year behind on everything and times are not what we hoped next year??? Locking in low bond interest rates right now without taxpayers having to make a payment until next year, that sounds like a good opportunity if you just look at the facts.

conservative 5 years, 12 months ago

The economy will not be turned around by next year. We will be luckly if we hit bottom by Christmas. The bill passed by congress and signed by the president is a stop gap measure. 700b is a drop in the bucket. There are between to 3-7 trillion in possible toxic mortgages, and that 700b might free up 1.75 trillion of that. So there is a lot still up in the air.

Right now push the bond back by one year. You are not going to see an increase of interest rates of more than .5% by this time next year.

We are still losing jobs, so the fed will cut rates again this month, and the fed will only increase rates ONCE per quarter. So if the economy IS GREAT by 2009, (which it will not be) the fed will increase rates in April, July, October. = a total of .5% above where we are now!

So save your money, help get the economy back on track, then the bond issues untill then. BSE will still stand.

baldwinfan 5 years, 11 months ago

At Torch: "smaller classrooms with more 1-on-1 time with the teacher is a complete fallacy."

How about providing some facts rather than just an opinion. How about the fact that daycares are limited to the number of children they are allowed to care for at any one time? How about the fact that Luke Skywalker was the only student? He needed some good one-on-one time to become a true Jedi Master.

At Conservative. "the fed will only increase rates ONCE per quarter."

The fed meets every six weeks to adjust rates and the rates could adjust to any level. That being said, there is talk that the fed could lower the fed funds rate to .75%. Who knows what will happen to rates. If I knew what rates were going to do, I would just pay for the new school myself.