Blogs home Baldwin Signal? More like Baldwin School Newspaper

Where's the city news?

Has anyone else noticed that, if not for school news, the Signal would cease to exist? Sure, it's nice to hear about what is going on with the schools (and congrats to the winning teams) but surely there is SOME other news in town! What about the building that is falling down on the corner of 6th and High? Any updates on that? I would like to see some better and more coverage on our city government. How about a story on our police force? Who are men and/or women serving and protecting our community? What's up with our volunteer fire dept? I want more city news!!

November 4, 2010

Baldwin Signal? More like Baldwin School Newspaper

Comments

Rumor has it that Jeff Myrick has been released of his duties as the editor/newsman of the paper. I also hear that this has happened at the other World Company-owned papers. Until this is settled, you are only paying for a high school sports section -- not a newspaper.

(See other blog, Ohhhh, Jeffy-Boy for more.)

For all his puffed-up sense of self importance, Mr. Myrick was an editor, not a publisher. I.E.: He was an employee, not a businessman. The parent company has obviously decided that fiscal responsibility demands a restructuring of the subsidiaries. Look for the Signal to soon come to you as a "section" of the Journal-World. If this concept seems foreign, take a look at the Kansas City Star and its "neighborhood" sections.

photobug 3 years, 9 months ago

Jeff always gave us wonderful coverage of City Council. He was the soul of the paper. Jimmy is doing the best he can. I truly believe they are trying to run the paper into the ground. Nancy, you don't know how many hours Jeff put into the paper. I worked nearby and he was always available and didn't miss a City Council meeting. Restructing includes not filling the paper machines, not giving us the hometown coverage we deserve. You can't have someone being editor twice a week and get the same coverage we had. I totally disagree with you Nancy, Jeff was giving us the news we needed for this small town. It's very sad indeed. If I want big town news I read the LJW. But I only need to do that once a week. I loved reading the Signal and could count on Jeff to provide what we needed to know in our town.

true_bulldog 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, Nan, "puffed-up sense of self importance?" Does the pot call the kettle black much in your perfect household? Do you ever take a day off from your pitiful life of spewing vile?

That said, you have an interesting take on the "neighborhood" section. Hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you could be right. Of course, I also have to remember your history with business acumen.

The LJW has been strategically eviscerating the outlying papers they own for some time now. I have a passing acquaintanceship with Jeff and know that every time the LJW made the earth tremble in Eudora or another satellite city, he braced for the other shoe to drop--on his head! Finally, it did, and it is Baldwin's loss, as Photobug and True Bulldog indicate.

I'm sure everyone reading this burst into laughter at Ms Self-Importance having the gall to assert that Jeff was "puffed up." I'm surprised she even had time to post, what with the demands of her thriving business--not to mention all the phone calls and emails she has to answer from world leaders seeking her advice on matters of great importance. We should feel humbled that she would deign to pontificate here for our edification. Huzzah!

baldwinmom10 3 years, 9 months ago

You people are awful! This was one of the most vile threads I've ever witnessed!!! Every one of you are being nasty and mean! This is still a public forum and I would think that we don't want to spread the impression that Baldwin City isn't full of small minded, big mouthed cowards! So Behave!

Hilarious! If "that" (look for it....) was intentional, it was a brilliant spot of humor--worthy of Austin himself. If not intentional.....proofread, proofread, proofread. ;-)

Hey, Mommy, mind your own business. No one on here is kicking Jeff while he is down. This sucks that Jeff is gone. Some of us have developed a relationship with Jeff, if not in person then virtually, and hate to see him go.

If this is the worst thread you've "ever witnessed," then you haven't been paying attention. I think you were doing a masterful job while you were watching Oprah and spanking your kids. Go back to doing that.

baldwinmom10 3 years, 9 months ago

Ghost, You do not know me, so how can you be so mean? Let me clear up your misinterpretation of me... I am a very devout christian who follows the laws set forth by our God. I am a very devoted parent who is active in my childrens lives in and out of school and I have NEVER watched oprah

I could throw a few uneducated conclusions out here about you, however, I DO NOT KNOW YOU!

I hope that in your REAL life you are not this mean and negative... I imagine it would be a very sad life for you if you where. :(

Don't be dismayed by anything the fakeghost says, baldwinmom. He's a petty little drone with no imagination or originality. When the LJW overhauled Speakout a few years back (with no warning to longtime posters and no provision for us to retain our posting names), the drone stumbled upon the site soon after it reopened and idiotically took my posting name.

He was apparently so creatively bankrupt that he couldn't think of anything better on his own. Or perhaps he admired me so much that he thought taking my name would cause my creative genius to rub off on him (smile). Didn't work, sorry to say.

I've had to spend a lot of time explaining this to anyone who might read his stupid comments and confuse him with me. I would not want to be identified with someone so lacking in originality, not to mention, common courtesy. (Reflects really well on whatever boors raised him, don't you think?)

So consider any negative comment from him as a compliment. And please--don't buy into his fantasy by calling him Ghost. I'm Ghost. Always have been. ;-) He's Faker.

markdunn 3 years, 9 months ago

Jeff is a nice guy. Always goes out of his way to say hello, and ask how me and the kids are doing.

He will be missed. This is a shame.

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree with championdog. This paper has really had its share of problems most especially in that the major news is almost always about sports. Election night blogging was about the football game and not the election. I didn't find out about the building that is falling down until I read the public notices section. I think the paper could do a better job finding information that isn't already listed on another site. There is a fair amount of city government news that is cherry picked and much that goes ignored. Jeff Myrick didn't do a terrible job but I hope the new editor does a better job. I think there are community writers right here on the boards that would/could contribute without asking for a fee. I know I would.

Nathaniel Johnson gruyere.emmentaler@gmail.com

Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't reported on.

http://signal.baldwincity.com/news/2010/sep/09/city-council-extends-deadline-unsafe-structure/ http://signal.baldwincity.com/news/2010/jul/08/fencing-expected-around-unsafe-building-sixth-and-/

I kind of agree with you, Nate. While a bulk of the paper consists of sports that are uninteresting to me, I could live with it -- at least there were some local news articles. Now, we have nothing like what we've had with Jeff at the helm. It's too bad the World Co. can't manage to pay someone to serve this area with news.

BTW, there will very likely be no new editor. This is what you get.

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

No new editor? That is really not good. Is this because the paper is owned by a single company?

photobug 3 years, 9 months ago

I heard that someone from KC comes in several days a week to "edit" the paper. That is not the same as having someone there day to day who knows the town and has a feel for the folk. Time will tell but I don't have a good feel for this new arrangement.

kermit 3 years, 9 months ago

I am afraid the future of our paper local doesn't look good either. I was disappointed that there was no news at all on the The Signal's website(as of 5:30am on Monday) about the large fire on Sunday morning on Dearborn Street.. According to TV reports on the scene one of our local volunteer firemen was injured fighting this fire . I'd say this qualifies as "breaking news" and should have been reported on this website. At the very least the small article on the LJW's site should have at least been updated. In a small town like this we all probably know either the homeowners, their family or the fireman. We'd like to be reassured that they are ok.

I am not going to criticize our one lone reporter as I assume he was covering the BHS football game until late Saturday night. I assume he knew nothing about the fire until the next morning. However by mid morning Sunday either he or someone at the LJW should have been covering this story for our community. Jeff would have been there and would have had breaking news alerts going across this site. You are missed Jeff. It looks like we are all going to join you as victims of a struggling newspaper industry.

Justask 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's what I know. The World Company, which owns the Signal and several other small town papers, has decided to have one editor over at least three newspapers. This editor comes here twice a week and edits what Jimmy has done. So basically, we have one reporter covering everything in town. And God Bless Jimmy, but his first love is sports, not the city council.

Say what you want about Jeff, at least he was vested in Baldwin, this traveling editor does not live here and has never lived here. Jeff knew all the players, sometimes probably too well. But at least he tried to get news beyond sports in the newspaper.

I would be surprised if the Signal makes it another year. Which to too bad.

Justask 3 years, 9 months ago

I would be surprised if the Signal makes it another year. Which to too bad.