Blogs home Auto

Melange ? What has happened?

It would seem that more & more Baldwinites have had a less than good experiance at the Melange apron. Myself included! Not to be one whom would quickly judge or disregard a local buisness entirely I have indeed given them several chances to make up for their short comings. My first visit was back in Sept. & honestly I was quite excited. The food was very good but the service seemed to need some work. I did get a chance to meet the chef at the time & he was very knowledgable & quite plesant. I have since learned that this perticular chef was let go for reasons that I do not know. On another occasion I was able to meet the owner a very nice man whom I gathered was somewhat new to our community.
Regretfully on my subsiquent visits each seemed to be one worst than the last. The food quality seems to be hoplessly lost & the service of which I had hoped to improve over time has sunk to an unenviting down right rude level of which I see no return. What happened Melange Apron? Our little community was so excited to see you come along It almost seemed like an instant sucess! Where did you go wrong? On my last & probably final visit I had the oppertunity to do a little prying, It would seem that the owner is rarely on site and the majority of the staff has quit or long been let go. Maybe it is the lack of patrons but there is a definate feeling in the air something that was once there is gone.

Comments

OMFG---This has got to be the illiterate Chef Brian, AKA PissedOff!

HAHAHAAHHAAAAHAAAAHHAHHHA

I love this town!

BaldwinDad 4 years, 5 months ago

I would agree with the original comment, I have gone to eat their twice and both times the service was horrible. While the food was interesting, it's still hard to like it when it's brought to you an hour after you order it.

BaldwinDad: This an apparent attempt (a very sad one at that), by a former employee. Here's a link to the other blog about this restaurant that pissedoff commented on. It's amazing the similarities in his pathetic grammar: http://signal.baldwincity.com/weblogs/new-resturant/2009/oct/12/new-resturant-in-baldwin/ Oh, and by the way, Jeff Myrick seems to have removed one of pissedoff's posts on that blog. I bet the owner of the restaurant filed a complaint.

jmyrick 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree on the similarities. Looks to be one and the same. But, by the way, I did not pull any posts from that blog. The owner did not file any complaint. We did talk about the blog, however.

BaldwinDad 4 years, 5 months ago

That well may be the case, but I still am not very interested in going back there again.

Like I said service was horrible and food while interesting was not worth the wait.

horsepoor 4 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree with the OP & the above poster, I had an awful dining experience at Melange.
I met there with some friends to discuss some business. We called well ahead of time so that we would have a table. When we arrived they had given our table away so we stood waiting in the dining area for over 15 minutes. They finally had to move some other customers to a smaller table to accomadate us (RUDE!) We had to practically grab a waitress to order take our drink & food orders. While waiting for our food we tried to talk business but couldn't hear ourselves over all the kids playing. Our food took well over 45 minutes to arrive & was luke-warm at best. I would have complained but 1) the wait staff was running around in unstoppable circles, 2) I was tired after waiting over an hour to eat & 3) I was starving!! (& yes I did think about going next door in that 45 minute waiting period)

food101 4 years, 5 months ago

I had noticed this blog the other day and had to comment. I live in Baldwin and love it here but not the food options. I was thrilled when the Melange Apron opened! I went there with some friends for coffee and dessert and had the most pleasant time. Not only was the coffee and desserts wonderful but the atmosphere was delightful and comforting. I went for lunch shortly after that. I did notice that the wait staff was not well trained and the food, although good, took forever and was on the cold side. Our dessert this time was from the grocery which was extremly dissapointing. I have worked in restaurants for many years and know that it takes heart and dedication to make it work. Like with many places at first, the heart was there but I just didn't feel it the second time around. I will give them another shot though.

And to pissedoff- I've never met a Chef yet that could spell. Dyslexia runs rampent in the culinary field (Myself included).

To greyghost, whom I picture as an "angry little man with no friends," I hope I didn't offend you with my poor grammer and illiterate nature. And no I am not an x emplyee that just wants to take a jab at the Melange. I really do want them to succeed but they must find their heart again.

Your grammer is perfect. It's your grammar that gets me all pissedoff!

Mr. Pitts aka Chef Brian aka pissedoff aka auto aka food101, How long are you planning on keeping this charade going? Just leave the Melange alone. They are doing great w/o you. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that by not employing a homicidal maniac in the kitchen is doing wonders for their P.R.

food101 4 years, 5 months ago

Like I said, an angry little man with an obvious paranoia disorder. Think about this for a second. Why would everyone that worked there hate that place so much? This is not chef Brian I assure you but I am wondering if you actually have no life other than putting others down? Or you work at the paper and enjoy stirring up s***. Who else would sit around and follow blogs about subjects like this and have nothing to say about the actual resturant? Have you actually been there? Are you the owner? Humm.... I'm guessing no life. How easy it is to speculate.

food101~ I'll stay out of the Melange discussion, as I've only been there a couple of times, but your assessment of "fakeghost" is correct--angry little man with issues, severely lacking in creativity. He/it stole my posting name, which I had used here for years, when the LJW brilliantly changed the Speakout format without safeguarding long-time posters' names. He's been dragging the name through the dirt with his sophomoric comments ever since.

I don't care who you are or how many posting names you might be using--at least you haven't stolen one from anyone who already had an online persona in that name. Fakeghost is pathetic and needy and obviously couldn't come up with a unique posting name to save his/its shriveled little soul. So take anything else he/it says in that context. How valid is any opinion offered by an unethical drone?

Now watch how fast he hurls an insulting little zinger (or so he imagines) at me. For some reason, he thinks he's a wounded victim whenever his cyber cheating is called out. Wait for it.......

Summer 4 years, 5 months ago

I can tell you what went wrong with the Melange. If I misspell something here, forgive me. I'm getting used to texting and have picked up the misspelling habit. :) Everyone was so excited about this restaurant. Chef Bryan was probably the best chef ever! That's my personal opinion. His wife's desserts are incredible. They are both very nice and professional people. Of course, no one is perfect and under the stress of the restaurant, there were a few times when we all lost it. Anyone who has ever owned a business knows that the owner has to be there, especially when it's important. You can't open a restaurant and in a month never be around. Every good business owner knows, you have to be there to turn on the light and to turn the light off. Basically, the owners wanted it to run itself, after only one month. It was stressful and Chef Bryan made sure he expressed his feelings. Being the Chef and kitchen manager, he wanted everything just right. After he left, the quality of the food and the ambiance was not the same. The employees were not managed and in fact, now they have a bully running the whole show. I heard she is demanding tips from the servers and mistreating everyone there. I think everyone is hoping that the owners wake up. If it was my business, I would beg Bryan to come back. He was responsible for everything good about that place. I think we would all like it to be back to that 1st month. Excellent management is key! Happy employees =Happy customers!

Is Chef Brian and his wife willing to open up their own restaurant? That would solve all of these problems. Well, except for TheOnlyGreyghost and her maniacal obsession with me -- that I don't know how to fix.

If they do open a new restaurant, I've got the perfect name: Scalped Potatoes!

Oh yeah, food101, just because I am entertaining myself at your expense, does not make me angry...........nor paranoid (where did you get that?).

Summer 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm sensing some flirting with the Chef with angry words? Just like that boy who always pulled my hair and called me names in the 3rd grade!

food101 4 years, 5 months ago

Again, I'm not Chef Brian if that's what everyone is still thinking. (I don't have the right parts if you know what I mean;) Unless Brian is short for Brianna.

food101 4 years, 5 months ago

The fake greyghost- I really like to watch football w/ the boys or girls night out for my entertainment. Oh that's right you don't have any friends, my bad.

food, Can I come hang out with you and your girlfriends some night? You sound like my type of girl -- well except for the beer belly and ugly face parts.

food101 4 years, 5 months ago

I would imagine that an ugly, beer belly type would be all you could pull in. But if you can consider a six pack a beer belly than it ain't me.

Yeah, faker, that's credible--you were hung up on me enough to steal my name (creepy, stalkerish behavior), but I'm obsessed with you? Dream on, loser.

Food101~ didn't take long for the little friendless troll to start ragging on you, too. Sounds like there must be a world of frustration in its little life that it can't deal with. You know--an oppressive boss that would fire fakey if fakey mouthed off... or overbearing parents that would kick him out of the basement... etc.

If he wasn't whining about you or me, he'd be kicking the dog, so we should congratulate ourselves for being kind to animals.

TOGG, Please, you have to have some opinion on the Melange soap opera. So, let us hear it.
Can't we all just get along? Love ya, Fakey