Blogs home arcocelli

alternative to Mediacom?

I've had it with Mediacom. Speeds in January have been terrible. We had a tech out to the house today, nice guy, very professional. The problem is utilization. Basically, there's too much traffic and not enough pipe. They have no idea when this will be fixed. In the meantime, they offered cutting my bill in half for January and giving some amount of credit for the months going forward until the problem is fixed. The speeds I'm getting are much less than half so I feel I should be paying much less than half. I've been a customer for 6 years now but this is not worth it at this point. How is Centurylink?

Comments

BigCat 3 years, 2 months ago

They are slower but that is the limits of DSL. However, they have been consistent in the service. I used to have MediaCON, but the service (internet and TV) was terrible. It was always down.

Stacy Napier 3 years, 2 months ago

It is a service issue. I had problems in Nov and early Dec, but noticed my speeds are up to 10 Mbs. So I guess they shifted the bottle neck to your side. I call them every day and say that I am not getting any service so they will send out a repairman. I figure if we all call and make it cost them more to send repairman than upgrading our line it might get better.

I started with them around 2003 and it's been mostly pathetic. I just gave up.

rumpledforeskin 3 years, 2 months ago

CenturyLink has been solid. I will never go back to Mediacom.

BaldwinDad 3 years, 2 months ago

I think this is something we all agree on is how lousy the service of Mediacom is...I have been with them for a little over 2 years now and I'm tired of it. Switching to Satellite TV and Century-link.

arcocelli 3 years, 2 months ago

Is centurylink fast enough to use with Netflix? We have an apple tv we use to stream movies.

sawman 3 years, 2 months ago

Centurylink has four speed tiers of dsl service, 768k,1.5M, 3.0M and 10.0M. What is anyone using and as arcocelli asks is it fast enough to stream video? Also, what is the cost?

We have a bare Centurylink phone line that I would like to have caller ID on so bundled with 10.0M internet and Direct TV would be nice at the right price. Mediacon is up to nearly $120 with bottom tier tv service and shared bandwidth w/ Baker students internet, phone w/ Centurylink another $30.

arcocelli 3 years, 2 months ago

I've been in further contact with Mediacom about the utilization issue in our area and so far, no info. At some point they have to upgrade the equipment to provide the advertised (and charged for) service. In the meantime, they can't provide it. I don't understand how this is even legal. It's not confined to our area alone either, if you look on Mediacom's customer support forum, this is happening across several states.

mommie2boogie 3 years, 2 months ago

I love my direct TV... we switched from MC 2 years ago. DTV has been so reliable, even in the blizzards we have had, its NEVER gone out. It rocks!

Nathaniel Johnson 3 years, 2 months ago

We switched to CenturyLink after being fed up with MediaCom. We stream Netflix on a Samsung Device in HD, run 3 computers that access the internet for gaming and the typical stuff. Never had an outage in the year we have had them and never get speeds slower than 8Mb according to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/. No regrets. One piece of advice. Replace all the old telephone lines in your house with newer Ethernet cable. There are far more wires than you will need but it is better tested at the factory and meant to carry that kind of signal anyway. This is an easy do-it yourself project and can be done for less than $50. Old telephone cables are notorious for bad connections.

Nathaniel Johnson gruyere.emmentaler@gmail.com