Blogs home arcocelli

when was the last time a tornado hit Baldwin City?

Now that we're in to that time of year, I was wondering if anyone knew the last time a tornado actually hit Baldwin City. I remember there was one up near Vinland a year or two back but I don't think it touched down.

Comments

dsharkie8 3 years, 7 months ago

There was one that was on the ground in the spring of 1976. It went from just west of 59 highway almost to Gardner. Went through at the north side of Big Hill.

showtime 3 years, 7 months ago

Another close call happened while I was going to Baker in the early 90's, one touched down just east of the 59/56 junction. You can still see the "break" in the tree line.

Baldwin is immune to tornadic activity.

One will NEVER hit our fair city.

triplecross 3 years, 7 months ago

i was in 6th grade so probably early 90s and a tornado hit jus south of town i remember horses being caught in barb-wire and barns down and the old baldwin lake was flooded

ishom 3 years, 7 months ago

The one that hit south of town was NOT a tornado....it was called a microburst..... A funnel was never seen...., my mom's and my sister's house got hit.....less than a quarter of a mile a way was where the horses were. In the 70's an actual funnel cloud was on the ground for alot of miles going thru the Vinland area....I actually watched it from south of town.

Axebo 3 years, 6 months ago

I witnessed a funnel form behind my parent's home in the summer of '92. It "approximately" occurred 1 mile east of the Hwy 56 / High Street / N 250 Rd juncture. Note I did not witness this funnel form into a tornado; however, I did witness a characteristic vortex that protruded from a low ceiling. From memory I estimate the ceiling to have been approximately 240 meters AGL (above ground level) with the funnel obliquely projecting approx. 80-120 meters from the ceiling. In terms of radius I'm much less certain: maybe 10-20 meters. Moreover the ceilings vector was something akin to ESE at roughly 40 kph. As I was not made aware of a tornado ESE or toward Edgerton during that timeframe, I presume it never formed fully.