Blogs home arcocelli

crosswalk light

Who do we talk to about getting a light put in at the crosswalk at 8th and 56 (the one that goes to the grocery store)? No one (and I mean no one) stops and lets pedestrians cross, which is, as I understand it, illegal. Dangerous as well. I know the crosswalk was painted and signs put up but it was a complete waste of money, people just speed on through. I see kids trying to cross there all the time and no one stops for them either.

Comments

Peabody 4 years, 1 month ago

arcocelli,

Because Highway 56 is a state highway, KDOT is the state agency that would determine the need for a light at this intersection and install it. Thus far, they have not determined that such action is necessary.

There may be a process by which the city can petition for a light to be put in, but we would probably have to pay for it if the request were granted.

This may be an issue to take up with members of the city council.

Tony Brown

robinbayer 4 years, 1 month ago

The Safe Routes to Schools grant that Baldwin City was awarded will fund a crosswalk light now that we have the sidewalks in place. The weather has not been conducive to putting the crosswalk lights in place but now that we seem to be in a warming trend the KDOT contractor will be back to put in place the crosswalk lights.

Thank you for the question and please feel free to contact any City Council member if you have questions and concerns about issues such as this one.

Robin Bayer 203 9th Street 913-645-6666

robinbayer 4 years, 1 month ago

Just for further clarification, KDOT is overseeing this particular project, not the City of Baldwin. Therefore, the timelines for installation are determined by KDOT.

solo 4 years, 1 month ago

This is indeed good news. Thanks Mr. Bayer for explaining the activity I saw in around the sidewalks this Fall. Will this just be a crosswalk light that will only go red if and when someone pushes the button? I am very much in favor of that. However another light that will be cycling through the 3 color system all the time does not seem to be warranted. Could you please clarify?

robinbayer 4 years, 1 month ago

I consulted City Administrator Jeff Dingman and he explained that the "crosswalk lights" as I described them are actually attention-getting flashers that will do a better job of informing motorists that a crosswalk is in front of them.

greyghost 4 years, 1 month ago

Were there some comments removed from this thread? Too bad.

sawman 4 years, 1 month ago

No one stops at the crossing in front of Sonic either. Whenever I stop for a pedestrian some idiot coming from the other direction blows right on through. It's inexcusably reckless of them.

Peabody 4 years, 1 month ago

Dear Sawnman,

This is the what psychologists call the "fundamental attribution error." Persons who behave differently from us do so because they are bad people.

There may, in fact, be other reasons for their driving mistakes.

Tony

solo 4 years, 1 month ago

Why would something be removed from this thread? Seems like a pretty harmelss discussion to me.

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm never up in time to see the school crossing lights by Sonic. People do drive fast down through that area. There is quite a lot of pedestrian traffic for a couple of blocks. I've always thought 35mph was a bit high. I think 25mph between the grocery store and the Salt Mine would be a better speed limit. I was crossing from the Lodge bar one night to go to Puckett's Bar and some a$$ doing about 50mph almost hit me. I stumbled over the curb and broke the pint of Kentucky I stole out of Mama's purse!

greyghost 4 years, 1 month ago

solo- I just happened to see two posts Sunday, noonish, that are no longer on here. One of them was by a small-town newspaper editor. This editor commended a council member on his using his own name on speakout, then asked said council person to "come out" on all of the other (countless) user names he has had on speakout as well. There was a second post by a different user (one I didn't recognize) that was in response to the editors post. It contained information, addressed to the council member, on how to handle harassment on this web site, quoting the sites user agreement.
BTW solo, why was one of your posts removed from one of the Melange threads? Let's see if this post gets yanked for even mentioning it.

arcocelli 4 years, 1 month ago

well, I'm glad to hear that an attempt to make it safer is being made. However, I don't think that it's going to work. I think the only way most people will stop is if they are made to stop. I wonder if a study was done to determine what kind of light was needed?

Still_Pool 4 years, 1 month ago

Peabody: "This is the what psychologists call the “fundamental attribution error.”"

Tony, You sound like an LA 401 instructor...

SP

Peabody 4 years, 1 month ago

Or a former psychologist ... either way, it's a problem.

solo 4 years, 1 month ago

greyghost yes, one of my posts did get pulled off of the Melange thread and I never could understand why. I didn't think I had said anything controversial or against the rules. I guess I attributed it to a computer snafu. No big deal. Now I wonder if more is going on here.

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 1 month ago

I've had posts pulled on other sites. I don't believe I have ever had one pulled off of here. Moderators are people with opinions/feelings/beliefs/etc. Sometimes I think they, like police, interject their own feelings/beliefs into their jobs. It's all a judgement call. And sometimes...for example...I could call Peabody(Tony) a jerk. He wouldn't care...but the mods might. Not that Tony is a jerk. I'm just using him as an example cause I know him. And speaking of Speakout...this blog stuff sucks! Who decided to change from the old "thread style" site? Mama won't even read it anymore. Said she couldn't get drunk enough to read this mess. She says it's all ****ed up. They need to change it back. It's stupid and cumbersome. Tony...you impotent(whoops...I mean important)! Make them change back to the old style site.

NanCrisp 4 years, 1 month ago

Johnmichael: Tony is a politician, not a newspaper editor. Then again, some politicians do seem to control the news around here.

kermit 4 years, 1 month ago

What news is there to control "around here" Nan? Let the conspiracy theories begin..............

therealJohnmichael 4 years, 1 month ago

Nan...Honey. I know Tony is a politician(at least for now). But "important" people are supposed to have connections, know people and be influential. On the other hand…Dolph and I go way back. Maybe I’ll give him a call. This blog s**t wears me out. I say threads! We need threads! We need threads! Uh oh. Woke Mama up.

greyghost 4 years, 1 month ago

I find it very intriguing that the newspaper editor has been censored. Anyone else think so?
If local government officials had anything at all to do with his post being removed, then this is a clear violation of the Constitution of the United States!
Let us all stand behind our local newsman and make sure his voice is not being censored by the government!

solo 4 years, 1 month ago

Did he censor himself? Who else would remove the posts Maybe he said something and thought better of it later on and pulled it himself.

jmyrick 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for your concern, but I have not been censored. As for you continuing to ask about a pulled post from the Melange blogs, I thought you were talking about the original blog from back in October. A post was pulled from that one, but I did not pull it.

If you're talking about the latest two Melange blogs, I did pull several posts from them, including solo's. However, solo's post was only pulled because it was referencing two posts that I'd pulled. It didn't make sense that way and made it look like solo's comments were made to someone else's post. That's why I pulled it. There was nothing wrong with it, other than that.

solo 4 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for clearing that up. I had been curious as to why it was pulled and the explanation makes sense to me now.

indasky 4 years, 1 month ago

WHY WERE THERE 5 POLICE CARS A STATE TROOPER AND AN AMBULANCE AT THE INTERMEDIATE CENTER AT 3:15PM ON 3/10???? WAS THE SCHOOL ON LOCKDOWN?