Blogs home arcocelli

low Halloween turnout

We had quite a bit less trick or treaters this year. Where did they all go? Are people getting paranoid about taking their kids house to house? I hope not.

Comments

Justask 4 years, 5 months ago

Don't worry, arcocelli. Most parents are taking their kids to FireTree where the sidewalks and streetlights are.

We had a major drop in trick or treaters as well. But there are folks in FireTree who ran out of candy by 8 p.m.!

alterego 4 years, 5 months ago

"Most parents are taking their kids to Fire Tree where the sidewalks and streetlights are.."

How thought provoking from a voice calling for a drop in the sales tax so we can guarantee there will be no sidewalks and streetlights for the rest of us!

How nice it would be if I could have run out of candy rather than now having to eat it all myself because I have neither sidewalks nor a working streetlight to encourage the little goblins to come to my home.

Vote yes and yes on Tuesday. I want to give my candy away--not eat it.

Justask 4 years, 5 months ago

Alterego,

Please show me in the sales tax question where you are guaranteed street lights and sidewalks with the tax money.

And you obviously have not been clearly reading my posts. I have stated several times that I support the idea of the sales tax. I have no sidewalks in my neighborhood.

What I cannot support is the way these two ballot questions are worded. There are no specifics and no deadlines. So I vote no on both until the council figures that out.

Sorry you had to eat your own candy. Maybe you can freeze it for next year.

alterego 4 years, 5 months ago

I have been reading your posts and I, unlike you don't have a problem with the lack of specifics in the ballots. We are in a town of 3500 + people. I know at least 3 of the council people personally and I know the mayor. I believe they will make reasonable decisions with our tax money. Frankly I don't want to have to have an election every time we need money for some kind of project.

We don't live in a true democracy, we live in representative republic. I elect these people to make decisions. I expect them to make decisions. I will talk to them and give them my view and then watch the decisions they make. If I don't like their decision I will let them know why I disagree.

To me this is the beauty of an election in a small town. Unlike at the state of federal level I can actually influence the elected officials in Baldwin.

What I don't understand is why you think an election every time something needs to be done is an efficient way to run a city?

alterego~ Your comments make so much sense that I'm sure the head-in-the-sanders won't listen to you, but I hope others (particularly those who are undecided on the sales tax issue) will. Great post!

arcocelli 4 years, 5 months ago

getting back to my original post, what part of town does not have sidewalks or streetlights? We live just south (a couple blocks) of Baker and our whole area has sidewalks and streetlights. Are people not happy anymore unless everything is lit up bright as day during the nighttime? If that's the case, it's pretty sad. We had a lot of kids come by the past several years but the drop between last year and this year was huge to the point that we probably shouldn't have bothered. Have people really gotten that paranoid in the last year?

Peabody 4 years, 5 months ago

arcocelli,

We didn't have many kids come by our house either. I even went outside and tried to flag down cars, but it didn't help. Who knows ... maybe it's global warming.

On the other hand, we've got some good candy left -- Snickers, Reeses, and Butterfingers. You guys got anything you want to trade?

Tony

We probably went to your house, arcocelli---thank you for your hospitality. For some reason, a lot of Baldwin people get in their cars and hightail it over to the Firetree neighborhood. Do they think those houses give out designer candy?

We prefer the old neighborhoods, where the houses have character and the residents are fun and generous. One couple even had a tray of bonbons for the parents! Many of the residents dress up and really get into the spirit of things. Reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in. Those who go to McMiniMansionville don't know what they're missing.

jmyrick 4 years, 5 months ago

Peabody,

Although I like your selection, I've got plenty of those. Got any Baby Ruths, dude?

markdunn 4 years, 5 months ago

I have a lot of gum leftover. For whatever reasons, I just bought gum. Double bubble.

Still_Pool 4 years, 5 months ago

We gave out broccoli. For some reason we still have 3 bushel baskets left...

SP

Shoot--I would've taken some of that. Grind it up & make broccoli slaw!

jmyrick 4 years, 5 months ago

Broccoli slaw, greyghost? Eeeuuuuuwwwww. Sounds like something Peabody would eat.

lola 4 years, 5 months ago

SP,

Are you choppin' broccoli?

BaldwinDad 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I noticed a real drop in the trick or treaters this year as well and even before getting on here was I told that most parents just took their kids over to Fire tree and dropped them off.

I think allot it has to do with better sidewalks , well lit streets. I can say where I live there is no sidewalks and really while you might call a light on the telephone a street light it's really not as nice as the street lights in the Fire tree complex.

I also think that allot of people over in the "original" Baldwin give out better candy and have much nicer displays to spook the kids. Heck, one nice pair of mature ladies gave my child a homemade cupcake and believe me I have had their cupcakes and pies before their worth the walking over broken sidewalks and poor lighting to get.

Still_Pool 4 years, 5 months ago

We were going to hand out $5 bills but the broccoli was worth more...

SP

sawman 4 years, 5 months ago

Homemade cupcakes, I'm sure a lot of people found they're worth walking for. How nice of them to allot their time to baking them. SP, you know word would have spread quickly had you been handing out that cabbage!