Blogs home arcocelli

Intermodal?

So, I guess the BNSF Intermodal is going to be with Edgerton instead Gardner? From what limited understanding I have of this situation, the intermodal will be in the same location, but Edgerton will now reap the financial benefits instead of Gardner. I wonder what this all means to those of us here in Baldwin?

Comments

What are you talking about? How will Edgerton reap any benefits?

arcocelli 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess originally, the deal was made with Gardner, so they would get money for city improvement, etc. So now, the intermodal will still be in the same spot, but Edgerton will get that money to expand/improve their town.

loosecaboose 5 years, 5 months ago

It will affect Baldwin with more truck traffic and even more truck traffic.I gave my opinion of this in another thread.

hellothere 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't see a problem with the intermodal going up in the area. In times like this how can anybody complain about a business coming into, or near, a town and offering good paying jobs?!?!?!

loosecaboose 5 years, 5 months ago

1. There won't be that many jobs. Part of the reason for the facility is to use less people.
  2. The railroad jobs are obtained by the seniority system, and many employees in Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City North will take them. Been there, done that.

arcocelli,

I guess I still don't understand. The intermodal and the warehouses that comes with it will be in Gardner but all of the upgrades will be in Edgerton? The links didn't really clear anything up for me because I haven't really followed the situation. Sounds a lot like Baldwin though--e.g. life-time residents set in their ways vs. young progressives who want to expand too fast.

loosecaboose,

I thought most of the jobs to be had would be in warehousing, distribution centers. I can only assume that's why Coleman is putting up that bohemoth 1 million square foot warehouse. How many employees will work there? If I had to guess, I would say around 1,000. I may be way off there.

I've heard that figure , 15,000 new jobs, and I've also heard that most of those will be construction jobs that will eventually move on. How many "staying jobs" will this intermodal bring? Some railroad jobs and quite a few warehousing jobs--jobs that should pay a decent living wage.

loosecaboose 5 years, 5 months ago

Many warehouse jobs are also union seniority system. But of more importance is the automation of warehouses today. One we used to switch in Kansas City KS had probably 90 to 100 employees in 1973 when I went to work on the Union Pacific. When I retired in 2003, it had been automated and probably had 20 to 25 employees. At Owens-Corning, I remember back in the 1990's when they cut their number of fork-lift operators in half.

Kenhayes 5 years, 5 months ago

I suggest you look at the economic empact that the intermodal built outside of Dallas Texas had on the communities around it. A couple thousand jobs were added to the economy of the area working in the distribution centers and support facilities tied to the intermodal. This will have an impact on Baldwin economically and traffic wise. In the these economic times we should look favorably on projects that bring employment to the area.

Agreed, Ken. I'm astounded by how many Baldwin residents keep telling themselves (and anyone who will listen) how this is not going to have any effect on Baldwin. I think we'll see a nice uptick in real estate transactions, among other benefits.

loosecaboose 5 years, 4 months ago

I am not saying I don't want development, I do. It would be nice to have some industry to help with taxes. I just don't think we should expect too much to happen, especially in the short term. What I do worry about, and believe realistically, is the amount of truck traffic on US 56 will be greatly increased. I have seen it as an employee of a railroad happen in other places. US 56 to US 59 and US 75 to I 70 will be a choice route over I 35 to I 435 to I 70 to points west.

jen 5 years, 4 months ago

Loosecaboose, do you have an idea on what percentage of these trucks will be heading west? The number of projected employees at the intermodal location is 290. I do not see how real estate will climb in Baldwin City with the amount of truck traffic rolling through.