Blogs home arcocelli

New restaurant?

Anybody know anything about the new restaurant going in at the corner of 6th and 56?

Comments

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

I heard Walt Faber and his Gambino's/Walts Pizza Cafe franchise are making their return to Baldwin. Complete with his less than sanitary kitchen and aquarium that is about as clean as Douglas County Lake and as an added bonus, Walt will make a weekly apprearance and say weird things to you that you can harldy understand. I for one, can't wait.

ktrendel 5 years, 3 months ago

The restaurant / lounge is owned by Shawn Nelson. His team is working through architectural design issues and should be submitting for a building permit very soon.

Kyle Trendel Baldwin City Planning Commissioner

The fare is planned to be traditional (not pizza, not Gambino's and not Walt's) with an emphasis on organic/"green" recipes. I know this because ... I'm a know-it-all.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

Wouldn't everyone like to see Walt back in Baldwin though?

oldschool 5 years, 3 months ago

I personally love Walt's pizza, but I usually ordered carry-out, not dine in.

I loved the pizza too. Although, I had a hard time going back in there because every time I asked for Parmesan cheese, Walt told me to scrape it off of the stuffed alligator he had sitting on top of the salad bar. It tasted like dust. :(

Yeah, Walt's was great... if you were fond of filth and crappy service. There may (or may not) have been a time when he ran a good restaurant, but everything I saw indicated that teenagers were running the joint with little or no supervision. Everything was dirty and it took forever to get service.

Not surprised that fakeghost liked it. When you have so little imagination and taste that you can't even come up with an original posting name and have to steal someone else's, I guess you set your standards pretty low for everything else.

Best wishes to those opening the new place. We frequent most of the current restaurants (had a delicious Cobb salad at Cordoba's the other day), but it's always nice to try something new.

"We". You mean someone actually can tolerate living with you? Whoa.........

Yeah, I'm pretty nice until you cross me.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

My only advice for the new business owner is to make sure you pay your taxes so the IRS doesn't come in during normal business hours and take your cash register like they did to my man Walt.

solo 5 years, 3 months ago

I particularly miss the assorted insects flying around the sticky booths. But seriously there was a time when he served a mean prime rib one night a week. Only lasted a short time but he brought in the crowds on those nights. those were the good old days.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

I remember shrimp and prime rib days. I agree those were the good old days. Too bad Walt didn't report any of the $14.95 he charged us to the government or we'd probably still be enjoying some of that top quality Kansas beef with the varius flying insects you spoke about.

I checked this out. It sounds like this couple have a great business idea. Good luck to them!!

cluckychicken 5 years, 1 month ago

I watched as the design crew worked getting it ready for opening. Best of luck, can't wait for the opening.