Blogs home arcocelli

high speed internet alternative to mediacrap?

Hello!

Are there any alternatives to Mediacom for broadband? I'm sick of their price gouging. We don't have or want a landline and don't want cable tv anymore, all we need is broadband. My research so far has come up with zilch but there's always hope.

Comments

Stacy Napier 5 years, 3 months ago

The only option is satillite. But you will find that Mediacom is not that bad for what you get.

I compaired my bill with a Lawrence resident and for 8Mbs speed which is silver package there with basic cable I pay $10 less a month. an they have a 11MB cap per month. We have none.

In Olathe my parents have AT&T Uverse and they only get about 2.5Mbs and even with the intro price they pay its about the same when you break it down with my VIOP service.

You should be worried about the price of Water here. Now that is price gouging. I pay a lot more per month for water/sewer than I do cable/internet.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

What this town really needs is HDTV.

arcocelli 5 years, 3 months ago

Yep, I've noticed the water price! That's why everything in our yard dies out in the summer. Ain't paying to water it. I'd be happier if we could just drop the basic cable and get a lower price. I don't see what the problem is, but they won't do it. The other thing I wonder about is anyone using or going the use the fiber optics here in town? I don't know when they were put in, (it was before we moved here, 6 years ago) but as far as I can tell, they're not being use.

hipgrrrrl 5 years, 3 months ago

We have highspeed through Embarq. Not sure what we pay since it's a big bundled pkg with Dish, phone and cells, but it's been reliable overall.

b8es 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with hellothere. Mediacom's high speed internet service is nothing to gripe about, but their COMPLETE lack of HD is inexcusable.

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

I say we stage a sit in! We'll all meet at Kwik shop at 9:00 and march downtown and demand HD.

b8es 5 years, 3 months ago

Quick shop to downtown.... Man, that sounds like a long way to march. I am with you, hello, but maybe we should just start at the fountain downtown and march across the street. Us HD-watching couch potatoes can't waste all our energy just getting there, we need to be able to put up a fight once we arrive. ...See you at 9:00....

The price is right but for anyone who wants quality then Mediacom isn't the answer. Unfortunately...they're the only answer.

BaldwinDad 5 years, 3 months ago

I would have to say the price is not that bad compared to the surrounding community, but the utter lack of HD and On-Demand is ridiculous. They have been saying for the last 2-3 months any day now. I mean seriously I can get HD free over the air with a $20 antenna and you can't get me HD through my cable yet?? Also the fact that they don't have more then a 3-4 day guide is another issue if you have a DVR and like to record shows.

rateraiser 5 years, 3 months ago

don't get me started on the cost of water......"2-3" months, more like 2-3 years they have been telling us we are getting HD. RIDICULOUS!

hellothere 5 years, 3 months ago

SIT IN!!!! It'll be just like the 60's!

loosecaboose 5 years, 3 months ago

While walking I have noticed at least three of the new digital antennas and wonder how good they are. There are two on Firetree and one on Baker (I think) and I wonder if they get both Topeka and KC? We have basic cable, and don't watch much, but if they work, an antenna would save us money in the long run.

DeltaDawn 5 years, 2 months ago

We have a Sprint Broadband card. It plugs into the usb port in the computer. It works a heck of alot faster than dial up. Which used to be are only option where we live. The cost is about $50.00 a month. If you have sprint as your cell provider they will just add the cost to your bill. Hope this helps.

loosecaboose 5 years, 2 months ago

When I complained about not receiving two channels last weekend, I told them to read this blog. I bet they don't. The only thing they read is our bill payment.

Stacy Napier 5 years, 1 month ago

Loose. I just use my old antenna in the atic with my old amp. It seems to cover the HD band. I don't have a digital TV, but when I bought one for my parents I used it for a couple of weeks and it was great. I got both Topeka and KC just like I used to. I am high up in town though.

It is what I will do when I get a new TV. Watch the local on broadcast and the other chanells on cable.