Blogs home annonymous

7th grade football

There is a rule for the football team that if a kid gets detention, he must sit out.....does that not pertain to the coaches son? I have heard that he has gotten detention a few different times, with no consequences. Doesn't his dad--the coach--work at the junior high? You can't tell me he wouldn't know about it. There are other issues that have gotten many parents very upset!! I worry that having a dad as the Junior High coach may not be such a great idea!!

September 22, 2008

annonymous

Comments

Spiderpig 6 years, 2 months ago

None of the coaches work at the JH. Only 2 of the coaches are even teachers. Complaining parents like yourself make sure that no one wants to coach JH football. I guess I missed the section of the parenting manual that says I get to be a complete idiot because my all-star kid (really can't walk and chew gum at the same time) doesn't play as much as someone else. The band gets on the field a lot. Has little Johnny tried the flute?

Keep up the good work coaches. Most of the parents appreciate what you are doing.

Gopher 6 years, 2 months ago

Easy Spiderpig. Most of us parents have experienced coach/dads exibitition of unusal behavior when it came to playing their star kid a shortstop or quarterback. 'Little Johnny" needs to hang it there. It all plays out at the next level when the good athletes actual play and in most cases at the key positions. I went through the same aggravation as bulldogs. But I was the quiet parent who knew that things change and very abruptly for many coach/dad kids..

bulldogfan 6 years, 2 months ago

If you re-read the first comment you can see that there are no complaints about the kid not getting to play. If the coaches son has detention and that is a team rule then the kid should be punished as any other kid would be.

bulldogs 6 years, 2 months ago

That's right bulldogfan, I never said my son didn't get to play. In fact, he plays quite a bit--and can walk and chew gum at the same time thank you very much!! The issue is whether or not some kids are being given special treatment. I'm sure I'm not the only parent out there that thinks this. They may not say it loudly, but I know there are parents out there not happy with the way things are being done.

boredstiff 6 years, 2 months ago

3 coaches last year, see if you can run some more off this year. Lowest paid coaches in the state (BHS & BJHS COACHES) and they have to put up with this stuff hope the coaches stay off this sight.

doggies 6 years, 2 months ago

The coaches son has not had a detention. NONE of the coaches sons' have had detentions. Therefore, where is the favoritism? All of the coaches sons' are good athletes, and that isn't necessairly favoritism. They are also great in the classrooms. I applaud the 7th grade coaches, one of whom has a full time career, a family, AND is a full-time student, trying to enter a career field in education. It's just sad that there are parents who are unappreciative of this.

doggies 6 years, 2 months ago

well.....congrats coaches and players.....7th grade is 3-0!

Gopher 6 years, 2 months ago

OK. I stand corrected. When bulldogs stated "...other issues that have gotten many parents very upset!!" I assumed it was PT (playing time).

I believe the rules of extracurricular participation after receiving detention is a school rule, not a team rule.

kidbusy 6 years, 2 months ago

Congrats on your win last night 7th graders!!! Hear there were some great plays.....keep up the tradition!!!

kidbusy 6 years, 2 months ago

I do wonder where everyone gets their information on the detention subject. Did boys tell their parents it happened, or did someone at the school tell a parent? Do the people who are saying they didn't have detention actually know this for a fact? How do the coaches know when players have detention, are they notified by the school? In my opinion, if they're not notified---they should be!!

boredstiff 6 years, 2 months ago

Give me a break, I would guess this is about playing time. Someone is not getting to play and their parents are upset that is what most issues with coaches really boil down to, they may say it is another issue but they are really concerned about their kids time on the field. Detention would be after school, if a kid is not at practice I am sure the coach asks why or finds out why?

PDiddy 6 years, 2 months ago

There's a reason they have JV, so everyone gets to play.

bulldogfan 6 years, 2 months ago

If JV is for the kids that don't get to play in Varsity then why are there some varsity kids still playing majority of the JV games? Also, there were 2 players from this team that were caught urinating on the walls in the bathroom of the Paola game and the coaches made "the team" pay for this by running drills, but why weren't these kids punished individually? Instead they saw their usual playing time, in fact more playing time. Not to mention one of these kids was the coaches son. If that would have been my kid I would have pulled him from the game myself and expected the same from the coach. I guess it's different when your dad is the coach.

doggies 6 years, 2 months ago

The rules aren't any different for a coaches kid. They're probably worse. Expectations are probably higher, things are probably tougher. Are you in the home of the parent that finds out his kid was urinating on the walls at an opponents school? Do you know if there are punishments made at the coaches home? Be careful how you judge people. Kids make mistakes, and that's how they learn and grow. Have you ever thought that a new kid to a new town may just be trying to "fit in," sometimes even following the leads of others? Are you at every practice, every game, on the bus, in the locker room, trying to teach teenage boys how to behave, how to respect, and how to win at the same time?

As far as playing time goes, would there be a JV season if there weren't enough kids to play on JV? If it's a team sport, they win together, lose together, get punished together, and get recognized all the same. I've heard the 7th GRADE is undefeated, not the 7th GRADE Varsity/vice versa...so obviously your son is also partaking in an undefeated season, too.

Maybe if the parents would bring their concerns to the coaches, who are doing a GREAT JOB (undefeated, aren't they?), then you'd have answers. BUT, instead you chose to remain anonymous, trying to get under the coaches skin, hurting kids' feelings in the meantime, and getting nothing accomplished but more and more comments on Speak Out.

I feel bad for the new family/coach who just moved to Baldwin City. You sure do put together a great welcome package.

boredstiff 6 years, 2 months ago

It is tougher to be a coaches kid. There are higher expectations, you have to be better by far than the person you play in front of or it is favoritism. Very seldom though is the kid not the one that should be playing. My opinion here is some kid that was playing last year is not getting the playing time they had last year because the new kid is better. They were punished for there act as a team that is a coaches decision as well as playing them after the punishment. I bet they were punished at home. Parents that pull there kids out of games as punishment for bad grades home issues etc also punish 10 other kids. Let the coaches coach and the administrators be administrators and you sit back and be a fan and enjoy a great season.

boredstiff 6 years, 2 months ago

I would like to know where the other boys involved dads work. That way we have a chance of possibly knowing who they were also.

bulldogs 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree, the team has had a great season. But for a player to urinate on the walls?? Come on. We need to show some disciplinary action with these boys. They need to be shown that disrespecting school property is not tolerated. I hope they were punished at home, but not being punished on the field, to me, shows them that there are no "real" consequences for such behavior. I cannot belive the school administration didn't take further action on this matter. Whether he is new or not, that was WRONG!!! There should be no excuses made for any of the kids.

dawgfamily 6 years, 2 months ago

i know this has created a stir, and it's too bad but the complaints are legitimate. the way i understand it students do not have to serve their detention that day. they can choose to serve it at a later date so the coaches may not know because the player may not be missing practice.

i take nothing away from the coaches, but i don't agree with how the "incident" was handled. this group of boys KNOWS the meaning of team, but this was not a team incident and should not have been a team punishment. if a player is going to do something like that, in uniform, no less, then i think they should be punished individually on the field as well, possibly by missing a game or two. they definitely should not see as much playing time.

bulldogs 6 years, 2 months ago

"BUT, instead you chose to remain anonymous", you are also remaining anonymous. And how do you know we haven't talked to the coaches, or the administrators of the school?

doggies 6 years, 2 months ago

The urination incident involved more than one player, and the kids weren't 'caught', they were told on. Either way it's not right, but the all of the coaches handled it, not JUST the Coach/Dad of the player. A few of you haven't made it clear enough what student athlete you're talking about. Good call--where do YOU work?

What should be the consequence to a non-student athlete that urinates on opposing school property? What happens if Bobby Joe urinates on a wall next to a urinal at an opposing school and someone 'tells' on him, how should we handle that? Should he get detention? Should he have to "sit out" of band class or algebra?

The detention thing....Did the player miss practice? No. Did the player do something in class that was so inappropriate that it couldn't be talked about between dad and son? No. Has your kid ever done something (probably never been in trouble, I'm sure) that you couldn't handle or provide some type of advice on?

There are some things, parents, that are out of your control. And unless you Speak Up (not anonymously) then it will stay out of your control.

I don't know what kid/family wouldn't want to be part of a great program, team, or tradition here in Baldwin, but you sure are making it hard on them to believe in it.

doggies 6 years, 2 months ago

Seroiusly, HAVE you talked to the coaches or administrators? I don't think you'd be on SPEAK OUT if you had.

dawgfamily 6 years, 2 months ago

yes, all kids do dumb things and it is a learning experience, but they should not be rewarded for it. the concern about it making it hard on them to believe in the program, etc., here i don't think is fair. i think it is making it hard on those other student athletes that are paying the price for someone else's misbehaviour. how is that fair?

bulldogs 6 years, 2 months ago

The consequence for a non-student athlete I hope would at least be in school suspension. And yes, if it's a band student he/she shouldn't be allowed to perform at the next game. Allowing an athlete to play his normal amount of time is just wrong. I don't care who did it, coaches son or not, they should have consequences. It MAY affect the team not having the player in there and it may not, but I'm sure there are other kids who can replace him---who didn't urinate on the wall. And whether he was told on or caught makes no difference. Being part of the team is a priviledge, and they need to act like it. What are we teaching our kids by not giving them consequences they'll remember? And then we make excuses for them not being disciplined? I, as a parent, would not have allowed my child to play. I would have taken it into my own hands if the coaches weren't going to deal with it. Teaching a child that actions have certain consequences is more important than winning a football game!!

Spiderpig 6 years, 2 months ago

At the Chiefs / Raiders game this year I peed on the tire of a Raider fan. To teach me a lesson I will not allow me to go to another Chief's game again this year. I want to thank bulldogfan and bulldogs for showing me the ills of my way. These kids should not be allowed to listen to or watch R. Kelly songs or videos. I bet that is where they are learning these bad behaviors.

outoftownfan 6 years, 1 month ago

The season is finally over with, THANK GOODNESS! I can't believe the incident about the whole urinating at the other school. I have been a fan of baldwin football for years and can't believe that this could take place, and no punishment would be taken! Not to mention the fact that what punishment was given was to the WHOLE team. HIGHLLY DISSAPPOINTED!! It will be really interesting to see if anyone serves a detention today considering the last game was yesterday! WAY TO GO COACHES!!!!

Blog entries