Sara Shepherd Lawrence Journal-World reporter
I’m the Lawrence Journal-World’s enterprise reporter, tasked with finding interesting stories that reflect Lawrence, Douglas County and surrounding communities. My beat includes daily news articles and more in-depth projects on a variety of subjects. Previously, I was a cops and courts reporter for The Kansas City Star, where I covered untimely death or destruction of some kind most every day for a few years. I’ve also covered suburban city government and schools for The Star and The Shawnee Dispatch. To reach me, call 785-832-7187 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/saramarieshep.
- Appeals court considering case of Baldwin City mother who hosted teen drinking party
- July 7, 2014
- A Baldwin City mom admitted in court documents to letting her teenage daughter and underage friends party at her home one night last summer as she drank along with them. Yet Sherry Haskell was not found guilty of unlawfully hosting minors consuming alcohol.
- Appeals court considering case of Baldwin City mom who hosted teen drinking party
- July 7, 2014
Link Italics Bold Bulleted list Numbered list Block quote Heading
- Douglas County issues blanket burn ban for upcoming month
- March 18, 2014
- Douglas County issued a burn ban today that will stay in place for the next month, yet still allow some opportunity for burning pasture at safe times.
- ‘Tonganoxie Split’ tornado myth lacks science but captures imagination
- March 9, 2014
- If many people ever truly believed in the Tonganoxie Split, it’s a good bet that number dropped on May 11, 2000.
- Kansas: Private discrimination against gays, lesbians already legal in most of state
- February 28, 2014
- Kansas has attracted an onslaught of national criticism over a proposed bill that media often have summarized as allowing discrimination against gays.
- Kansas: Woman, 19, charged with murder in former boss’ slaying
- January 27, 2014
- Sarah B. Gonzales McLinn, 19, has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Lawrence resident Harold Sasko, 52, according to the Lawrence Police Department and the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office.
- One-room schoolhouse near Baldwin City joins national historic register
- January 24, 2014
- A rural Douglas County schoolhouse built in 1900, with roots going back to the 1850s, is one of the newest additions to the National Register of Historic Places. est additions to the National Register of Historic Places. The Kansas State Historical Society announced this week that Clearfield School at 2162 N. 600 Road, northeast of Baldwin City in Palmyra Township, is now one of 1,350 Kansas properties on the national register.
- Charge dropped for Baldwin City woman accused of hosting minors consuming alcohol
- January 22, 2014
- A judge has dismissed a charge against a Baldwin City woman accused of hosting minors consuming alcohol, citing wording of the statute in question. Sherry L. Haskell had been scheduled for trial this week in Douglas County District Court. Instead, during a hearing Tuesday, Judge Sally Pokorny stood by her decision to dismiss the case despite a motion by the state to reconsider.
- Trial set for Baldwin school worker charged with hosting minors consuming alcohol
- October 23, 2013
- One teen reportedly badly burned during June bonfire
- Deer mating season means drivers should beware
- October 15, 2013
- Deer mating season usually begins in mid-October, peaks in mid-November and continues into January