Benton Smith Sports writer
Benton Smith covers sports and news for The Mirror. Although he hails from the state of North Carolina and graduated from the University of North Carolina, he assures you that neither that place nor the men's basketball team at said university have much or anything to do with him. Benton was a sports writer for the Lawrence Journal-World before coming to Tonganoxie. He is an avid basketball fan and football devotee but finds himself of late enjoying baseball more than he ever thought possible — he is 99 percent certain that is because the Kansas City Royals are actually competitive. Since joining The Mirror staff in February of 2008, Benton has learned that all high school sports, their athletes and coaches are pretty much a blast to cover.
- Zuzzio coach of the year, three BHS girls on 2013 Journal-World All-Area first team
- June 26, 2013
- Life is good for the freshly minted National High School Athletic Coaches Association Hall of Fame inductee. Zuzzio’s Bulldogs won the program’s third 4A state title in the past four years this spring, and Baldwin won every meet it attended, while setting school records in six events.
- Baldwin wrestlers defeat ranked 6A Lawrence team in dual
- February 1, 2013
- Team at Silver Lake meet Saturday
- Baldwin’s Valentine selected to LJWorld’s All-Area Team
- November 30, 2012
- Cornell Brown selected to honorable mention
- BHS soccer ties Chieftains 1-1 to open 2009 season
- August 29, 2009
- For 68 minutes on Friday night, the Tonganoxie High boys soccer team led visiting Baldwin at Chieftain Park.