Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County
A Baldwin City resident died in a motorcycle accident Friday in southern Leavenworth County.
The accident occurred just before 8:30 p.m. Friday at 238th Street and Kansas Highway 32, about 3 miles east of the U.S. Highway 24-40 and K-32 intersection.
Steven L. Harris, 45, Baldwin City, was traveling east on K-32 when his 2005 Harley-Davidson motorcycle left the road and went into a grassy ditch. The bike overturned, ejecting Harris and a passenger, 48-year-old Dawn Michelle Caruthers, also of Baldwin City, according to Kansas Highway Patrol reports.
Caruthers died at the scene, while Harris was taken to Kansas University Hospital.
Harris was wearing eye protection, but no helmet, reports said. Caruthers was not wearing a helmet. It was unknown whether she was wearing eye protection.
More like this story
- Baldwin City woman in critical condition after morning U.S. 59 crash
- Bridge of CR 1055 near Lawrence to reopen soon
- Baldwin City to seek KDOT funding for Eisenhower Street/US 56 intersection improvements
- 2 injured in 3-vehicle accident Sunday evening on U.S. 56
- Baldwin City to ask KDOT to upgrade crosswalk signal