U.S. 59 shooting probably not act of random violence, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office indicates
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office has identified the victim of Monday night’s shooting on Highway 59 south of Lawrence as 24-year-old Skylar L. Workman of Lawrence. Investigators do not think the shooting was a random act of violence, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.
According to the news release, Workman called 911 after being injured in the shooting, which occurred about 11 p.m. Monday night. Workman was flown by helicopter to Stormont-Vail Hospital in Topeka, where he is recuperating, the department said.
"Investigators do not believe this was a random act of violence but are reserving a final determination until the investigation is complete," the news release said. "We are confident that 59 Highway is a safe road to travel in Douglas County, day or night."
The department asks anyone with information about the shooting to call the sheriff’s office at 785-841-0007. Those who want to be anonymous or qualify for a monetary reward should call Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-8477.
More like this story
- Authorities continue to investigate U.S. 58 shootings
- Two arrests made in connection with U.S. Highway 59 shooting
- Shooting in Douglas County sends Eudora man to hospital, suspect turns gun on himself
- Southbound U.S. 59 reopened south of Lawrence after search for evidence from reported shooting
- Missouri man dies from injuries in U.S. 59 motorcycle wreck