Baker guard named HAAC Freshman of the Year
Baker University freshman standout Javeion Gray was named the 2014 Heart of America Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year on Monday afternoon, after averaging 11.9 points per game in conference play this season.
The Little Rock, Ark., native was second on the team in scoring this season at 10.6 points per game and led the team in assists with 59 and appeared in all 29 games for Baker.
He also led the team in field goal percentage at 52.6-percent and was 95-of-125 from the free-throw line at 76-percent.
His fellow teammate EJ Carter was also recognized for his strong junior season, as he was named to the 2014 Honorable Mention All-HAAC team.
Carter led the Wildcats in scoring at 13.2 points per game and was the second-leading free-throw shooter on the squad, shooting 80.7-percent.
The St. Louis, Mo., product also led the team in rebounding at six per game and scored in double figures in 20 of the Wildcats 29 games. He had a season high 31 points against University of St. Mary on Nov. 8.
Baker will enter this week’s 2014 HAAC Conference Tournament as the No. 8 seed and will travel to No. 1 Benedictine this Wednesday, Mar. 5 to take on the Ravens at 7 p.m.
More like this story
- Baldwin claims first-ever state wrestling title
- Baldwin High School wrestling coach teaches success on mat while building long-lasting bonds
- Baldwin girls bull way into state title game with 67-42 win against Concordia
- Baldwin High School wrestlers win 4th-straight league title
- Baldwin headed to state with record 10 wrestlers