Face to Face: Baldwin City Public Library director Kathy Johnston
Name: Kathy Johnston
Born: In Lawrence but grew up in Baldwin City.
Family: Husband, Ernest Albert Johnston; son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Heidi Johnston; grandchildren, Easton, 2, and Eden, 5 months.
Occupation: Library director of Baldwin City Public Library
Ideal job when growing up: “I thought I’d like to be an art teacher.”
Education: Baldwin High School. "I did take library science in high school. The teacher, Margaret Statzman, was very good."
Hobbies: "I like to draw and, of course, read."
Digging deeper: She works in a place of smiles, Johnston said. A perk is the chance to be the first to read the new books and other materials that come to the library. Her favorite part of the job is working with the staff and volunteers at the library and interacting with its patrons, she said. A downside: “Right now, the expansion project tops the list.”
More like this story
- Quapaw tribe seeks dismissal of lawsuit over casino plans
- Douglas County to host town hall meeting on jail, mental health facility on Monday
- Baldwin City Council publishes proposed 2016 budget with 4.57 mill levy increase
- Douglas County to have townhall meeting on jail expansion
- Douglas County commissioners reach consensus on 2016 budget; property taxes to remain constant