Brownback’s GOP challenger has bankruptcy in past
Topeka A Wichita businesswoman who is challenging Gov. Sam Brownback in the Republican primary has filed for bankruptcy protection in the past, while her running mate has done so twice.
Jennifer Winn tells The Wichita Eagle she was going through a divorce and not receiving child support when she filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2004, facing more than $79,000 in debts.
Winn, who owns a landscaping business, says she filed after losing her home and a truck.
Her running mate, Robin Lais, filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 1997 and again in 2002.
The single mother says the first bankruptcy was caused by medical bills for her daughter, who has epilepsy. The second came when clients of her advertising business went out of business and she was not paid.
More like this story
- Baldwin City Council gives first nod to voluntary annexation
- Annexation of east Baldwin City tract tabled for two weeks
- Baldwin City Council asked to develop trust in wake of annexation's withdrawl
- Kansas House approves bill revising land annexation process
- Coming auction of rural Baldwin City property drawing interest