Balloon festival announces move to Kansas Speedway
Officials with Kansas Speedway and the U.S. Bank Midwest Balloon Festival announced Thursday that the 2014 event will take place Aug. 8-10 on the grounds of the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan.
The event, previously held at the Great Mall of the Great Plains in Olathe, will cover approximately 50 acres to the west of the Speedway’s grandstand.
The annual event features balloon festival staples such as mass balloon ascents, food vendors, traditional and tethered balloon rides, children’s events, a carnival and evening balloon glows. Patrick Warren, president of Kansas Speedway, said the event is expected to draw tens of thousands of people to the area.
Special features for this year’s festival include:
• Special-Shaped Balloons, including a 105-foot-tall Elvis and the world’s largest hot air balloon, Darth Vader.
• 5K Race With the Balloons – As runners and walkers make their way around The Legends, balloons will follow them from above.
• Elvis Tribute Concert Sunday afternoon and Battle of the Bands on Friday & Saturday night.
• Charity Balloon Race – A total of 25 local charities will have the opportunity to win cash prizes totaling $15,000.
• Balloons & BBQ – a KC Sanctioned BBQ Competition, Kids BBQ competition, Texas Certified Steak Cook-Off and a Winner-Take-All Backyard Grilling Competition, judged by local celebrities.
Advance tickets go on sale online at midwestballoonfest.org and at all area Hy-Vee locations on May 26. Tickets start at $10 for adults 15 and older and $5 for children. Children under 3 are free. Multi-day pricing is also available.