Baker women win HAAC title
Thursday night became a historic night inside the Collins Gymnasium, as the No. 13 ranked Baker University women’s basketball team defeated Peru State College, 85-63, to capture at least a share of its first HAAC regular season title since 1983.
The Wildcats have now won 16-straight HAAC conference games and are currently 23-5 overall and 16-1 in the conference, one game up on second-place No. 14 MidAmerica Nazarene University.
With a victory Saturday at Missouri Valley, Baker would win the HAAC title outright with a 17-1 record.
The Wildcat defense had another banner day causing 27 turnovers and held the Bobcats to just 30.8-percent from behind the arc.
Offensively, the Wildcats hit seven three-pointers and posted four double-digit scorers with BriAnna Garza hitting 19, Macy Wallisch scoring 16, Kyrstie Ehm dropping 17 and Angel Woods added 11.
Thursday night was also senior night as Garza, Shea Shoemaker and Ciarra Washington were honored after the game. Shoemaker scored nine points in her final home game.
Baker shot 54.2-percent from the floor on the night and outrebounded Peru, 37-32, with Wallisch leading the way with seven boards.
More like this story
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Baldwin City magician's white lie leads to business that's blowing up
- LJWorld.com Douglas County commissioners consider consultant to review zoning, codes policies
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms