Kansas House panel OKs tanning salon bill
Topeka A Kansas House committee has endorsed legislation that would bar people younger than 18 from using commercial tanning beds.
Thursday's 11-4 vote by the Health and Human Services Committee sends the bill to the full House for consideration.
Businesses that allow people under 18 use their tanning beds could be fined $250 for each violation. Minors could still get commercial spray tans.
The committee amended the bill to let minors use commercial tanning beds if prescribed by a doctor to treat an identified skin condition.
Supporters of the bill cited medical studies and committee testimony that exposure to tanning bed radiation at a young age increases the risks of developing melanoma and other skin cancers.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- AT&T aims to match Google broadband in Kansas City
- Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund