Jury duty scam reported in Kansas
Wichita Sedgwick County officials are warning residents about a jury duty scam that has resurfaced in the area and cost one person several hundred dollars.
The Wichita Eagle reports that several people have received calls saying they missed their jury duty and must pay a fine.
Sheriff’s Lt. David Mattingly says one person who was called paid $500 for the bogus fine.
Instead of providing financial information or money, Mattingly urges anyone who gets such a call to hang up and call sheriff’s investigators, or 911 after business hours.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets