Face to Face: Matt McCune
Born: Great Bend. "I grew up mostly in Colorado and Baldwin City. I’ve lived here since the third grade."
Family: Wife, Sarah, 11-year-old son, Grady, and 9-year-old daughter, Marley.
Education: McCune received his teaching degree from Ottawa University. He graduated from Baldwin High School.
Career: McCune said he once was a cartographer, making maps from computer programs for Douglas County and other clients. He started teaching when his wife was pregnant with their first child. “I just decided I didn’t want to be looking at a computer screen all day.”
Hobbies: Coaching youth basketball and soccer and playing those sports. Writing (he’s the author of a self-published youth adventure series), hiking, kayaking and spending time with his children. “Daydreaming. Daydreaming is a hobby.”
Digging deeper: McCune said many people encouraged him to go into teaching before he started his career at the now-closed Vinland Elementary School. It’s a fulfilling career because he can make a positive difference in young lives, he said. McCune said his parents frequently told him to “enjoy every day,” and he brings that philosophy to his job and life in general. “I think I enjoy being a kid, but I know how to get my point across when it is time to get serious.”
More like this story
- Marijuana refugee returns to Baldwin City to advocate for limited use of drug
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Hallmark to transfer printing work from Georgia to Kansas
- Four possible parking lot sites near BJHS/BHS campus reviewed