Small Kansas college houses students in hotel
Lindsborg A small south-central Kansas college is housing some students in a hotel to deal with a big increase in student enrollment.
Bethany College, a private college in Lindsborg, currently has 730 students, up 10 percent over last year. That follows a 9 percent increase in enrollment last year. The college booked all the rooms in a local motel, the Coronado, to house students.
President Ed Leonard says the college plans to replace a closed two-story dormitory with a new three-story 225-bed residence hall, and other dorms will be remodeled. He says those projects should meet housing demand when the work is done.
KAKE-TV reports most of the students at the motel are upperclassmen and athletes.
Construction on the new dormitory is expected to begin soon.
More like this story
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Douglas County will create a public building commission
- Douglas County delegation to travel to San Antonio to look at ways to reduce jail time for mentally ill
- Kansas officials hope budget puzzle pieces drop into place
- Valuation notices sent out to Douglas County property owners