Baldwin softball team drops two in Wellsville
Wellsville — The Baldwin High School softball team had a tough day at the plate and in the field Thursday in losing both games of a doubleheader to Wellsville.
The Bulldogs lost the first game, 3-2, in eight innings and fell in the nightcap 8-3. Freshman Kinley Burton went the distance on the mound in both games, pitching 7 1/3 strong innings in the first gave before giving up a double in front of a run-scoring walk-off single. She gave up no earned runs in the first game until the eighth and all eight runs in the second game were unearned.
Baldwin tied the second game in the fourth inning with Emily Simpson brought home a run with a triple and then scored on a fielder’s choice. The Bulldog forged ahead in the top of the fifth when Sierra Hall led off with a single and scored on an Eagle fielding error.
Wellsville quickly regained the advantage with four runs in the bottom of the fifth and added two insurance runs in the sixth.
Baldwin got off to a quick start in the opener thanks to a home run from Kylee Bremer. Aislyn Meyer’s fourth-inning single would drive in Haley Cope, who had singled earlier, for the only other Bulldog run of the game.
The Bulldogs will return to action Tuesday with a home doubleheader against Spring Hill. The first pitch is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
More like this story
- Baldwin City graduate season starts Saturday with Baker School of Professional and Graduate Studies commencemnts
- Baker University's first Kauffman Scholar looking to give back
- Baker Edition: Students honored for making a difference on campus
- Baker University fall commencements Sunday
- Baker Edition: Baker graduates first Kauffman Foundation Scholar