Baldwin City man wins Shrine Demo Derby
- Jimmie Johnson, Baldwin City; 2. John Green, Lawrence; 3. Hugh Griggs, Paola; 4. Jamie Frost, Edgerton; 5. CJ Barnes, Shelbina, Mo.; 6. Jason Dials, Ottawa; 7. Chris Bender, Overbrook
- Gary Russell, Lawrence; 2. John Green, Lawrence; 3. Travis Mayer, Wellsville; 4. Storm Mattas, Ottawa; 5. Jim Haring, Oskaloosa, Iowa
A Baldwin City man won the second annual Shrine Demolition Derby on Saturday in Tonganoxie.
Jimmie Johnson has been competing in demo derbies for 22 years, and it never gets old, calling it “a passion.”
He owns a pipeline construction company, and when he and his crew are not working, they’re building demo cars.
“We do it all the time. It never stops, it’s year in and year out,” he said.
His sons, Jace, 9, and Aydin, 7, were eager to see their dad after his win.
“They live for this,” Johnson said.
Demo derby drivers and pit crews become like family, he said.
“We have a good time, and everybody out here knows each other,” Johnson said. “We have a lot of respect for each other.”
This is the second year the Abdallah Shrine has hosted a derby, which followed two nights of rodeo.
More like this story
- Topeka High School teacher surprises student with car gift
- Pawz Patrol makes rounds of Baldwin schools to reward creative teachers
- Baldwin district new hires launch careers
- More Kansas teachers leaving state, retiring
- Baker Edition: University expands educational opportunities with Wetlands Discovery Center