Baldwin High School 4A state track and field results
The Baldwin girls 4x400-meter relay team put the icing of a 4A state title Saturday with a first-place finish.
The team of senior Elena Watson, junior Morgan Lober and seniors Kaitlyn Barnes and Glenn Kelley McCabe entered the race with the Bulldogs already assured for winning the school's third 4A title in the last four years. The team was the No. 1 qualifier Friday, having set a new state meet record in the process. Although its time Friday was well off the record mark, it was still good enough to hold off rival Paola.
The Baldwin girls finished with the state meet with 84 point, or 17 more than second-place Paola.
Lober, McCabe and Barnes were big for the Bulldogs Saturday afternoon. Barnes picked up 8 points for the Bulldogs with fourth-place finishes in the 800 and 1,600-meter runs. The Baldwin girls collected 16 points in the 400-meters dash with Lober's first-place finish and McCabe's bronze-medal performance.
Freshman Kelsey Kehl's sixth-place finish in the javelin and the girls 4x100-relay team's seventh-place finish have place Baldwin on top the standings of the 4A girls track and field championships in Wichita.
Two athletes from Paola, which is the current point leader at the competition, finished second and third, but Alexia Stein and Jessie Katzer were fourth and fifth. With that, Baldwin picked up 19 points in the event to Paola's 14.
Baldwin and Paola athletes continued to battle for medals and points in the 4x800 relay. Paola won the event with Baldwin second. Paola currently has the team point lead with 47 to second-place Baldwin's 42.
• Boys 4x400 meter relay: (Joel Halford, Chad Berg, Joe Pierce and Darius Johnson) fourth 3:34/22
• Girls 4x400 meter relay: (Elena Watson, Morgan Lober, Kaitlyn Barnes and Glenn Kelley McCabe) first (4:05.08)
• Girls 800-meter run: Senior Kaitlyn Barnes fourth (2:24.24), sophomore Hannah Hutton 10th (2:28.42), and freshman Fayth Peterson 15th (2:35.98)
• Girls 400-meter dash: Junior Morgan Lober first (58.04) and senior Glenn Kelley McCabe third (59.12).
• Boys 800-meter run: Sophomore Joe Pierce 13 (2:05.22)
• Boys javelin: Junior Quinn Twombly 13th (150-01); freshman Jake Katzer 16th (135-01).
• Girls javelin finals: freshman Kelsey Kehl, sixth (118)
- Finals girls 4x100-meter: Baldwin (Elena Watson, Morgan Lober, Kyna Smith and Glenn Kelly McCabe), seventh.
• Girls 1,600 meter run: Senior Kaitlyn Barnes, fourth (5:25.07), freshman Addie Dick, eighth (5:34.10)
• Boys 4x800 relay finals: Baldwin (sophomore Joe Pierce, freshman Dakota Helm, freshman George Letner, junior Ethan Hartzell) 13th with time of 8:45.58.
• Girls 4x800 relay finals: Baldwin (junior Hannah Hutton, junior Morgan Lober, freshman Fayth Peterson, and senior Kaitlyn Barnes) with time of 9:51.09
• Finals girls shot put: Katie Kehl, first (43-09.50), Alexia Stein, fourth (42-07.50), and Jessie Katzer fifth (41-07.5)
• Preliminaries of the girls 100 meter hurdles: Baldwhttp://signal.baldwincity.com/admin/news/story/106921/in sophomore Maddie Ogle finished 15th with a time of 16.84. She did not qualify for tomorrow’s finals.
• Preliminaries for the girls 4x100 meter relay: Baldwin team of senior Elena Watson, junior Morgan Lober, freshman Kyna Smith and senior Glenn Kelley McCade was fifth with time of 50.14. Qualified for Saturday’s finals.
• Preliminaries for the boys 4x100 relay: BHS team of sophomore Joel Halford, junior Chad Berg, senior Mark Harman and sophomore Darius Johnson finishes in 11th place: (44.57). Team does not qualify for Saturday's finals.
• Preliminaries of 400-meter day: BHS junior Morgan Lober first (58.56), senior Glenn Kelley McCabe fourth (58.98). Both qualify for Saturday's finals.
• Finals boys shot put: Dayton Valentine has personal best throw of 60-04 in the shot put. Senior finishes second to Kord Ferguson of Ottawa (61-06).
• Preliminaries 300-meter girls hurdles: Junior Maddie Ogle 14th with time of 50.2. She did not qualify for finals.
• Preliminaries of 300-meter boys hurdies: Senior Mark Harman 15th (42.75). He diid not qualify for finals.
• Preliminaries of girls 200-meter dash: Freshman Kyna Smith 15th (28.06). She did not qualify for finals.
• Preliminaries for the girls 4x400-meter relay: Team of Elena Watson, Morgan Lober, Kaitlyn Barnes and Glenn Kelley McCabe finishes first with a new state meet record time of 3:38.7.
• Girls discus finals: Senior Katie Kehl finishes first with a throw of 140-11. Sophomore Alexia Stein is fourth (129-04)
• Girls 3,200 meters finals: Baldwin senior Sienna Durr finished 16th (13:36.66). She did not qualify for the finals.
• Preliminaries of the boys 4x400 relay: Team of sophomore Joel Halford, junior Chad Berg, sophomore Joe Pierce and sophomore Darius Johnson fourth with time of 3:31.91. Team qualifies for Saturday's finals.
• Final boys discus: Valentine (168-08) again second to Ferguson (187-04).
(Look for updates throughout the day)
More like this story
- USD 348 at-large board candidate Kelley Bethell-Smith
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Regents President and CEO Tompkins retires
- Kansas officials to urge schools to teach financial literacy
- Baldwin district not looking to take cost-saving measurers making headlines elsewhere in state