Twinkies return with July 15 festival in Emporia
Emporia Twinkies are not just snack cakes in Emporia. They’re something to celebrate, which the city will do with a Twinkies Festival on July 15, the day Hostess Brands plans to return them to store shelves.
The Emporia Gazette reports the event will also honor the company that’s reopening the city’s Hostess bakery after buying the snack cake lines out of bankruptcy.
More than 500 people lost their jobs when Hostess closed the Emporia plant last November following a strike by union bakers.
The new owners, doing business as Hostess Brands LLC, decided to reopen it as their flagship bakery. It’s reopening this summer with an expected 250 employees to start.
The Twinkies Festival at Flinthills Mall will feature such activities as a Twinkie-eating challenge and a Twinkie costume competition.
More like this story
- Dole Institute to exhibit Bob Dole's WWII-era letters
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Ex-lawmaker faces sentencing for fraud to finance campaign
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Baldwin City Council candidates state views, define themselves at forum