BHS wrestlers in third after one day at regionals
Tonganoxie Following one day of competition at the Tonganoxie Class 4A regional tournament, the Baldwin High wrestling team sits in third in the team standings. Four Bulldogs have punched their tickets to next week's state tournament and helped the team amass 112 points.
BHS is within striking distance of a team title, as it trails only host school Tonganoxie (148.5) and top-ranked Bonner Springs (120.5).
Jon Pratt (120), Tucker Clark (132), Bryce Shoemaker (138) and Mark Harman (170) each went undefeated in their respective weight classes and will represent the Bulldogs in Saturday's championship round. Their finals opponents are listed below.
Jason Von Bargen (160), Mario Garcia (182) and Tiler Garcia (220) are out of the running for individual titles, but each can secure a state berth with one more win on Saturday. Opponents for each wrestler will be determined when consolation cross-bracketing begins at 11 a.m. Six other BHS wrestlers are still in the hunt for top-four finishes, but must win multiple matches to avoid elimination.
- Tonganoxie, 148.5; 2. Bonner Springs, 120.5; 3. Baldwin, 112; 4. Spring Hill, 90.5; 5. Jeff West, 47.5; 6. De Soto, 43.5; 7. Basehor-Linwood, 40.5; 8. Atchison, 36; T9. Ottawa, 30; T9. Perry-Lecompton, 30; 11. Sumner, 24; 12. Santa Fe Trail, 20; 13. Eudora, 19.5; 14. Piper, 12; 15. Bishop Ward, 8.
BHS individual results
106 — Ben Morgenstern, 1-1, Opponent TBD
113 — Ben Huntington, 0-1, Cody Slyter (SH)
120 — Jon Pratt, 3-0, D.J. Ballard (BON)+
126 — Open
132 — Tucker Clark, 3-0, Clayton Himpel (TON)+
138 — Bryce Shoemaker, 3-0, Corey Spader (SH)+
145 — Owen Tuckfield, 0-1, Jesse Best (JW)
152 — Colton Horne, 1-1, Devon Freeman (DES)
160 — Jason Von Bargen, 2-1, Opponent TBD*
170 — Mark Harman, 2-0, Blake Hampton (SH)+
182 — Mario Garcia, 1-1, Opponent TBD*
195 — Joel Halford, 0-1, Sam Shenk (JW)
220 — Tiler Garcia, 2-1, Opponent TBD*
285 — Alex Cigard, 0-1, Justus Merz (EUD)
*Needs one win to clinch state berth
+Already clinched state berth
More like this story
- Baldwin HIgh School sees decline in ACT test scores
- PAC available for Baldwin City community tornado shelter but users asked to follow rules
- Baldwin students outperform peers on state assessments; district wants better
- Senator's bill on Kansas out-of-district students criticized
- Kansas urges court to let governor, lawmakers decide funding