Freezing rain advisory issued for Douglas County
The National Weather Service has issued a freezing rain advisory from midnight through 9 a.m. Friday. It has also issued a winter storm watch for Friday night into Saturday night.
Expect freezing drizzle with minor ice accumulations. The storm is expected to begin early Saturday morning and last through early Sunday with a mix of freezing rain, sleet and snow. Winds will increase to 15 mph to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph.
Motorists should be cautious of slick spots on the roadways once freezing rain begins. The NWS discourages travel unless it's an emergency, and warns of downed power lines or loss of power.
Lawrence street crews will start work at midnight and treat roads through Friday morning's commute, according to a news release from the city.
The city updates its website, www.lawrenceks.org/snow, with information on the city's snow and ice removal efforts.
More like this story
- Timely bond refinance to help Baldwin district deal with block grant cuts
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- Baldwin district to survey parents about increased in-town busing fee
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly