Lawrence Haz-Mat unit responds to chemical spray release at Baldwin City senior apartment complex
An accidental discharge of home-defense spray Monday afternoon prompted a call for the Lawrence Fire Department’s hazardous material team to a Baldwin City senior citizen apartment complex.
Baldwin City Fire Chief Allen Craig said his department responded to the call at about 3 p.m. at Hancuff Place about 1016 Orchard Drive. Craig said it wasn’t known how the spray was discharged or how much was released from the aerosol can. The can was removed from a woman’s apartment, he said.
The spray caused choking and irritation for a number of residents of the complex, Craig said. All refused transport to hospitals for treatment, but some were treated at the scene with bottled oxygen, he said.
The Lawrence Haz-Mat team with three ambulances was called to the scene to determine the contents of the spray, Craig said. Once that was determined, two fans were used to ventilate the complex.
Residents were allowed to return to their apartments shortly after 5 p.m., Craig said.