Public invited to help Douglas County Senior Services celebrate 40th anniversary
Douglas County Senior Services is celebrating its 40th anniversary from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday at the Lawrence Senior Center, 745 Vt.
The nonprofit agency provides services that allow seniors to stay independent and in their homes. Its services include meals, exercise classes, tax assistance and transportation, and it serves about 3,500 individuals.
The New Horizons Band will be performing from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. and then there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at 4:30 p.m. to celebrate the agency's new logo and redesigned website. Speakers will be Lawrence Mayor Bob Schumm, Douglas County Commissioner Mike Gaughan and Kathy Clausing Willis, of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce. Special guest will be Cal Broughton, of Washington, D.C., who served as the first executive director.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 842-0543.
More like this story
- Baldwin High School boys and girls track team win season-opening meets
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- State champion Bulldogs have three wrestlers named to LJW team
- Baldwin track athletes compete against best at KU Relays