Public invited to help Douglas County Senior Services celebrate 40th anniversary
Douglas County Senior Services is celebrating its 40th anniversary from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday at the Lawrence Senior Center, 745 Vt.
The nonprofit agency provides services that allow seniors to stay independent and in their homes. Its services include meals, exercise classes, tax assistance and transportation, and it serves about 3,500 individuals.
The New Horizons Band will be performing from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. and then there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at 4:30 p.m. to celebrate the agency's new logo and redesigned website. Speakers will be Lawrence Mayor Bob Schumm, Douglas County Commissioner Mike Gaughan and Kathy Clausing Willis, of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce. Special guest will be Cal Broughton, of Washington, D.C., who served as the first executive director.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 842-0543.
More like this story
- Young would-be robber's effort stymied by clerk's stare
- Bat boy, 9, dies after hit in head by swing at baseball game
- Use of batboys and girls suspended after 9-year-old's death
- ATV crash kills 9-year-old Kansas boy, injures 2 others
- Former Baker president honored for role in bringing university chapel from England