Baker wrestlers tops in state
In just its third year of existence as a program, the Baker University wrestling team has been crowned the champ in the state of Kansas.
Junior Brandon Gebhardt (Sparks, Nev.) was named the tournament’s most outstanding wrestler after recording three victories, with the most notable victory coming in the finals over NCAA DII Fort Hays State standout Justin Glenn.
Senior Jarell Price (Las Vegas, Nev.) entered Sunday ranked No. 3 in the NAIA at 149 pounds, and didn’t disappoint as he was crowned a champion in the 149 pound weight class after knocking off Kane Lavvorn of Colby Community College with a fall at 4:21 in the finals.
Unseeded Joel Olivas (Henderson, Nev.) was the biggest surprise of the afternoon as he advanced all the way to the finals of the 141 pounders, before falling to C,J. Napier of Fort Hays State.
“Today was a total team effort,” said coach Jimmy May. “This was a huge step forward for our program, and I couldn’t be more proud of our kids.”
No. 10 Baker won’t have time to celebrate for long as the Wildcats prepare to host No. 5 Oklahoma City University at 6 p.m. Feb. 1.
2012 Kansas Cup Wrestling Invitational Final Team Standings
Baker University 121 points
Labette County 118.5 points
Fort Hays State 112.5 points
Neosho CC 69 points
Pratt CC 66.5 points
Bethany College 65.5 points
Colby County 60 points
Newman University 33 points
More like this story
- Congregate meals to end after next month at Baldwin City Senior Center
- Pony Express riders to set off for California
- Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging looks to partner with local business for new senior nutrition program
- Baldwin City's Senior Wheels program needs volunteer drivers
- Potential pilot program could make recycling easier for residents in unincorporated Douglas County