Baldwin’s Bonner gives wrestlers best finish at Bobcat Classic
Basehor-Linwood High School was the site of the annual Bobcat Classic wrestling tournament this weekend, drawing some of the state’s finest competitors across 14 weight classes.
Bonner Springs High School finished 12th overall among 35 teams, edging No. 13 Baldwin High School by just two points (87-85). St. James Academy finished 15th with 76.5 points and Basehor-Linwood recorded 18 points to finish 33rd.
Several local wrestlers placed at the event.
• St. James Academy senior Reese Cokeley (25-4) finished in fifth place at 106 pounds after he defeated Andale sophomore Dylan Eck via an 8-0 decision.
• St James Academy freshman Zack Hensley (20-4) defeated Olathe North freshman Nick Haug in a 7-2 decision to finish third at 113 pounds.
• Baldwin junior Bryce Shoemaker was the runner-up at 126 pounds. Shoemaker (21-3) dropped a 4-0 decision to Blue Springs sophomore Daniel Lewis.
• Baldwin senior Andrew Morgan (21-7) finished fourth at 132 pounds after he lost 5-2 to Andale senior Aaron Engles.
• At 145 pounds, Bonner Springs junior Jonathan Blackwell (21-2) finished fourth after he lost 3-1 to Mountain Range junior Randy Boerner.
• Bonner Springs senior Mark Hobson (20-3) advanced to the 152-pound fifth-place match, where he defeated Rossville senior Mark Smith 3-0.
• Bonner Springs junior Aaron Puckett (22-3) earned a 7-2 decision against Collinsville junior Jake Barton in the 160-pound fifth-place match.
• At 170 pounds, Bonner Springs junior Jared Clements (16-6) pinned St. James sophomore Trent Salsbury (24-9) in the seventh-place match. Salsbury finished eighth in the tournament.
• St. James junior Andy Muehlberger (20-10) defeated Platte County’s Conyer Hon 3-1 to finish fifth at 182 pounds.
• Colton Bonner, a 220-pound senior, gave Baldwin its best finish of the tournament. Bonner (23-2) finished first in his weight class after he handed Blue Springs junior Austin Reyes a 6-4 defeat.
Trackwrestling.com has complete bracket results from the tournament.