Baldwin boys fall in championship contest
Cold second-half shooting doomed the Baldwin boys chances of repeating as champions of the Bulldog-Wildcat Classic.
Louisburg defeated the Bulldogs, 50-41, Friday in the tournament first-place contest.
Baldwin enjoyed a six-point halftime lead, 23-17, as the team executed well against the Wildcats’ 2-3 zone. But Louisburg stormed back in the third quarter, outscoring the Bulldogs by 10 points in the period.
“They switched up to a 3-2 zone and that gave us a little trouble,” said Baldwin coach Dustin Leochner. “We did a good job against the 2-3 zone, but we weren’t as savvy against the 3-2 zone. We haven’t seen it. We didn’t see it all last year.
“We got good looks. We weren’t stepping into the shots.”
Louisburg 50, Baldwin 41
BHS. 14. 9. 7. 11 - 41
LHS. 10. 7 17. 16 - 50
Baldwin - Tim Craig 8, Cornell Brown 6, Michael Burton 9, Colton Stark 2, Caleb Gaylord 8, Christian Gaylord 8
Louisburg - Patrick Storey 9, E. Steffy 15, Garrett Lesher 7, Corbin Wertz 5, Will Garza 2, Mesa Ribordy 6, Drew Carder 6
More like this story
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Douglas County will create a public building commission
- Kansas school funding dispute heading back to high court
- Baldwin City Planning Commission recommends rezoning of old middle school