Baker football players earn weekly league honors
Baker University junior linebacker Emmerson Clarke and senior kicker Steven Stewart each had a big part in the 18th-ranked Wildcats road victory at No. 11 Ottawa on Saturday and for their efforts earned the Heart of America Athletic Conference Defensive Player and Special Teams Player of the Week honors respectively.
Clarke had two defensive touchdowns in Baker’s 27-20 victory over the Braves, with his fumble recovery in the end zone with 1:49 remaining, then returned an interception 48 yards for a score 29 seconds later.
The Gulfport, Fla., native finished the night with eight tackles, including one for loss and forced a fumble in the first half.
Stewart took the field on Saturday in his third different sport donning a Baker uniform after standout careers in both soccer and baseball.
A senior from Olathe, Kan., Stewart connected on both of his field goal attempts of 22 and 44 yards and converted all three extra points tries. He also recorded three touchbacks on his six kickoff attempts.
Baker will open up the conference portion of its schedule this Saturday, Sept. 1 as they travel to Peru, Neb., to take on Peru State at 1 p.m.
More like this story
- Officials say work on Baldwin City entrances to be finished in time for Maple Leaf Festival
- Baldwin City to seek KDHE loan for old-town water line upgrades
- CR 1955 intersection to reopen Thursday
- Baldwin City Council names Smith interim city administrator
- City puts many hours into transforming Baldwin City for Maple Leaf Festival