Baldwin City water conservation measures urged
At a recent meeting with city of Lawrence officials and its whole water customers, Lawrence representatives indicated that despite the Governor’s drought declarations, communication with the Kansas Water Office indicated that there continues to be an adequate amount of water supply in the Kansas River Basin reservoirs to supply water to the area at this time. However a prolonged period of time without rain to replenish the reservoirs could result in
further water conservation measures being implemented.
Although there is currently not a plan to move from the current water
watch that was issued two weeks ago, customers are reminded to use water wisely by following
these water use tips:
• Only water lawns and landscaping during the evening, night, and early morning hours
(between 6 p.m. and 10 a.m.).
• Adjust sprinkler heads so they don’t spray on sidewalks and streets. Adjust the sprinkler
system cycling so that the water soaks into the ground and doesn’t run off.
• Fix any sprinkler heads that leak.
• Use soaker hoses to water landscaping and trees if needed.
• Don’t wash off sidewalks, driveways, patios, parking lots, and other impervious surfaces.
• Wash full loads of laundry and dishes.
• Take shorter showers.
• Don’t let faucets run while brushing your teeth.
• Fix leaking toilets and faucets in your home