One person killed in vehicle-train accident near Riverfront Park north of Lawrence
One person died early Monday morning in a vehicle-train accident just north of Lawrence.
Apparently the driver of the vehicle went around the cross arms near the entrance to Riverfront Park and the vehicle was struck by a northbound coal train, according according to Operation 100's Mike Frizzell, The Mirror's reporting partner.
The driver was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred shortly before 2:30 a.m. Monday.
The accident scene is just west of the intersection of U.S. Highway 24-40 and 24-59, which also is referred to as TeePee Junction.
We'll provide more information when it becomes available.
More like this story
- One killed in Baldwin Junction wreck
- Icy roads lead to rollover accident on County Road 1055; more ice possible through overnight hours
- De Soto woman killed, at least one other person injured, in accident on K-10 between Eudora, De Soto Monday night
- Sunday morning accident lands Baldwin City man in hospital
- U.S. Highway 59 closed north of Baldwin Junction because of accident