Bulldogs beat Paola 2-0, will play Friday at home
Caleb Michels helped relieve nearly 70 minutes of tension for his teammates Tuesday.
The Baldwin High School senior broke a scoreless tie with 10:44 remaining in a boys' soccer playoff game at BHS. Seven minutes later, Michels scored again and locked up the Bulldogs' 2-0 victory over Paola, whom they had previously beaten twice this fall.
“I'm tired,” Michels said. “It feels so good to win. We stuck with it and kept hammering it at them them. We finally got a couple goals to go.”
Senior Louis Joslyn recorded the assist on both goals.
“I'm really excited about this win,” Joslyn said. “It's great to be back in the regional final.”
Michels and his BHS teammates celebrated exuberently after his first goal. The Bulldogs had several shots that came close in the second half, but couldn't get one to go into the net until Michels' goal.
Baldwin will host Independence at 4 p.m. Friday in the next round of the regional. The winner moves on to the state quarterfinals next week.
More like this story
- Baldwin City Public Library summer reading ends with food fight
- Community walk to mark 1-year anniversary of shootings at Jewish sites
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Baldwin City magician's white lie leads to business that's blowing up
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday